Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost keys, replace the locks?

Hi

I was just wondering what the consensus (if any) was with a tenant losing a set of keys?

We have a flat in a property with a communal front door which gives access to a couple of other flats in the building. Now we've just been informed one of our tenants (on an AST) has lost a set of keys, the agent seems to be of the opinion that nobody will be able to find out which property the keys belong to. Our contract with the tenants just states that all copies of the keys must be returned on leaving, which is now impossible.

Our agent seems to be of the opinion that they should just cut another set of keys and leave it at that. However, I'm of the opinion that all locks (3 in total) should be changed at the tenants expense as theres no way to certain under what circumstances these keys went missing. I don't know the tenants personally so I can't talk their word for it. If we are to change the locks, should it be done now or done at the end of the AST and just take it out the deposit? Also should we be informing the other flat owners that a key to a communal door has gone missing?

Thanks

In theory you should inform the other inhabitants of the block that keys have been lost and get a new lock for the outer door.

Tenants should pay. If outer door is always kept shut this should suffice. Did T have address tag on keys he/she lost!

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks

I think that's a good point about just replacing the outer door lock.

We never put a tag with the address on the keys, neither did the agent and I'd doubt the tenants would put one on.

Comment

You should replace all 3 locks, as you do not know who stole, or took, or found the keys knowing to whom they belong.

Too easy for someone to gain acces to a common door just by being around when it's opened.
        Then easy for someone to gain entry to your flat with keys, and then all insurance is nul and void if access is via keys.

Easy for someone to watch the place periodicaly for when it comes up to let again.
        Gain etry as above when empty, and remove boiler, TV's if furnished etc etc.

But your choice what you do.
        Don't forget someone has to deliver the new keys to the outside lock at least a week before it is changes, and to also assertain how many keys per flat are required.
        You will need to liase with the Managing company / agent, for which a charge may be made.

And there could be an awful lot of keys required too.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
          Then easy for someone to gain entry to your flat with keys, and then all insurance is nul and void if access is via keys.
          This is incorrect.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

My apologies, but I am correct.

I have a letter in front of me from our insurance company stating that if keys are lost, and it was found that access to a flat or common parts was gained by the use of a key, and if any items stolen then any claims will not be entertained.

Therefore, change all locks.

Or be devious and lock the door then break in, causing damage to the door, then the insurance company may then pay out as it was a break in, and not because failure to replace locks when keys were stolen, mislaid, stolen from work, the pub, a taxi driver taking you home, ( no disrespect to taxi drivers )

Comment

So you are in fact talking about your personal experience with your insurance company?
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

that's what I said.

O.K. You are an insurance company, and you find out that there was no break in, there was no damage, therefore someone had a key, let themselves in and took £ 5000 worth of goods, and you would be happy to give the tenant £ 5000.

He again did not change the lock, and 3 months later another £ 5000 claim comes in.
                Happy to pay that too, I assume.

Flat keys not changed but common entrance door lock changed.
                As said, it's easy to gain common entrance when people are leaving.

People in the other flats may have found the keys ! and steal what they want when tenant is out.

The previous tanant may well have a set of keys if the locks have never been changed

Comment

Most insurers will not pay out for burglary unless forced entry is involved. It is, however, important to check your particular policy.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                    So you are in fact talking about your personal experience with your insurance company?

Originally posted by ram View Post
                    that's what I said.
                    You are contradicting yourself.
                    Please check what I bolded in post #5.

Comment

"then all insurance is nul and void if access is via keys."
                      if anything is stolen, of course,

we are not talking about water leaks or broken mirrors, but theft via access using keys.

read post number 9

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X