Tenants separated - what to do, if anything

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenants separated - what to do, if anything

    My tenants (unmarried, if that's in any way relevant) have separated and she is continuing to live in the property and pay the rent.

    Both of their names were/are on the AST agreement, which has now become a statutory periodic, and on the deposit in the deposit scheme.

    Do I need to issue a new AST and re-deposit the deposit in her name? Or is it acceptable to leave things as they are?

    Do nothing: Currently should there be "issues" you have 2 people to sue & recover £££ from. If she can't pay all rent/damage you can go after him as well: Why increase the risk of getting your money??

    Either tenant can end the tenancy (for all of you) by serving a valid notice to quit during a periodic tenancy. So if he wants to be difficult he can: You can then decide if you wish to grant a new tenancy to her only.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      As long as the rent s being paid do not get involved in your tenant's private lives, the one that has left may well be back next week.

      Time enough to do something else when the rent is unpaid.

      Being a joint tenancy means you can chase either/or each of them if rent is unpaid at the end of the tenancy.

      If the tenancy is a SPT then either of the tenants can end it for both by giving statutory notice to you. (1 tenancy period)
      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg


        Thanks for the responses: just what I wanted to hear. I had been a little concerned that there might have been some problems with the agreement not now reflecting reality.

        As for not getting involved. that's what I've done since day one of renting.


        Latest Activity