My upstairs neighbour cut power cable, who is liable for the cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My upstairs neighbour cut power cable, who is liable for the cost?

Hi all, I'm a newbie landlord and own a ground floor flat. My tenant has already called me to say she has no power in the living room...So I took time off work and check wall switch/light fixture etc. Nothing. No power source found so I called my electrician at a cost of £55 call out and he found that my cable was actually cut by someone who lives above me

So I called my upstairs neighbour and he said his electrician did the rewiring recently, and that he only cut wires underneath his floor on "his side" and that my cable shouldn't be on "his side". In his analysis, the floor is made up of:

His Floor/void
    Concrete separating layer
    My Ceiling/void

My neighbour said one of my wire has been drilled through the concrete separating layer and channeled along his floor. So my neighbour's electrician arrived and had a look and said "yes, I cut that wire", and then reconnected the cut wire so my tenant now have power. I then asked my neighbour to pay me £55 for my electrician ti come and take a look.

BUT...my neighbour said it is my responsibility that "my" cables are routed on "my side" so this wan't his fault, meaning he won't pay the £55 for my electrician to come out. In fact, he said I should pay the £55 AND the new/additional cost of HIS electrician to come out etc.

Questions

1 - Does anyone know who should pay for the £55 it cost me to get an electrician to come out?

2 - The electrician simply reconnected the cut wire using a connecting block, but my electrician said I should really have this fixed properly, meaning a whole new cable from the wall switch to the light fixture and never via a connecting block (as it is more prone to failure).

I agree with the neighbour - you shouldn't have wiring running in his property.
    And the connecting block is a risk.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      I agree with the neighbour - you shouldn't have wiring running in his property.
      +1 - if indeed there's a discrete dividing concrete layer as described. (I've lived in old properties though where under the floorboards it's not at all clear whose wires are whose...)

Lucky the electrician didn't get a belt from cutting the live wire, after having switched off the power to the upstairs flat... I wonder if the OP would have been liable if he had?

And the connecting block is a risk.
      Well, in a ideal world but I wouldn't be losing too much sleep over it, especially if the alternative is hacking a new channel out of the wall. There are plenty of junction boxes in my house!

Comment

Thanks, I haven't done any electrical work on the flat and I bought the flat 11 years ago like it is so I didn't know how the cable was channeled etc.
        Do you know of any law that specifically states the boundary responsibility?

So on a similar line, if I dug up garden and hit my neighbour's mains, it's not my problem?

Comment

Contact your property insurers and let them sort out liability.
          Neighbour is resp for his electrician fee if he called him out.
          £55 storm in a teacup IMO

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant moves his girlfriend in
            by Lawcruncher
            What do the terms of the tenancy say about occupation?...
            01-10-2020, 08:22 AM
          • Tenant moves his girlfriend in
            by Hollywood
            Hi all, I've searched for similar thread but didn't succeed.
            My Tenant of 14 months, now on a SPT, has moved his girlfriend in. I'm ok with arrangement, it was mentioned by him when he first moved in but they split and nothing happened until now. He has been a good tenant so far & kindly...
            30-09-2020, 14:12 PM
          • Reply to Ending Joint Tenancy & Agency Fees
            by Darkside
            Just thought I'd update this and summarise. Thanks for all replies so far and apologies if what I am saying is confusing (some of it doesn't really make sense to me either).
            Our previous FTA ended on 19-09-2020 between myself and two others (joint tenancy). On the 20-09-2020, one of the others...
            01-10-2020, 08:06 AM
          • Ending Joint Tenancy & Agency Fees
            by Darkside
            Hi everyone,

I've already found a great deal of useful information on this forum so many thanks to all these knowledgable posters!

I entered into a joint fixed term tenancy agreement with two others. The fixed term runs for 12 months and the wording in case it helps is 'The...
            06-09-2020, 08:05 AM
          • Reply to Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel
            by tatemono
            I think you've done all you can in the situation including what many would not in offering your own facilities. I think, given the T's circumstances she would have been in her right to argue for some reduction in rent due to the inconvenience of not having all that she paid for. Perhaps you could negotiate...
            01-10-2020, 07:51 AM
          • Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel
            by tedcbe
            Hi I have a tenant who has checked into a hotel due to the fact that the boiler broke down and says she will reduce the amount in the next month’s rent.
            I have never agreed for her to check into a hotel in the first place.
            She reported there is an issue with the heating on Sunday night...
            30-09-2020, 22:30 PM
          • Reply to Tenant moves his girlfriend in
            by tatemono
            That's the only thing we've ever done when partners move in... based on advice on these forums I should add!...
            01-10-2020, 07:46 AM
          • Reply to Deposit Protection Rules?
            by jase222
            There was a case in Bristol similar where the judge rule that the landlord was right to give the original tenant the pi only and didn't need to for a later tenant but I know there was other info about the case, worth no win no fee tho
            01-10-2020, 07:12 AM
          • Deposit Protection Rules?
            by Nips
            Hi all ex tenant here, hoping someone can help as I can't find a lot of concrete advice online. Basically, I ended a very stressful tenancy in Aug 2019. There was a lot of back and forth, unclear info, and formal complaints, plus at the end of the tenancy they scalped us with deposit deductions. Just...
            30-09-2020, 17:43 PM
          • Reply to Deposit Protection Rules?
            by MW1985
            It is worth seeking with a no win no fee firm in this scenario. I would offer my opinion to say that the LA were remiss in not providing you with the deposit information. How were you to know the details contained within the Prescribed Info?
            It sounds as if some short cuts were taken by the...
            01-10-2020, 06:05 AM
          Working...
          X