Joint tenancy query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint tenancy query

Would like a second or third opinion on this, original joint tenanacy,(married couple) one left, one party left in residence, original person never officially notified me they were leaving, 2nd party never asked for new tenancy in their name but carried on living in the property until moving out 8 months later, leaving arrears on rent, both original tenants then paid off individually some arrears, but stopped paying anything a year ago, after numerous letters & contacts with no success, have now decided to go through courts, should i proceed against original joint tenants, there were no arrears when 1st party left, or just claim against 2nd party who left arrears. I do not know if this couple are now divorced, but do know where both now live.
    Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Some Tenancy and departure dates would be helpful.
    Did T2 provide due Notice?
    When did you retake re-possession of property ie start renovation, change locks etc?
    If both were listed as joint Ts on orig and neither provided NTQ, then sue both for full rent, up to date you retook possession.
    Was anyy deposit taken and fully protected within 30 days?
    Did DPS record deposit in 1 Ts name as(lead T)?

Comment

Somewhere in your tenancy agreement it should say that the 'tenants are jointly and severally liable for the rent and outgoings' or similar.

So it follows that both have to pay the debt - no matter whom they are with now or that one left.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X