Damage caused by Police forced entry to property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage caused by Police forced entry to property

Hi All, This is my first Post so I'll give as much detail as I can.
    I had a tennant on AST about 2 years ago who unknown to me had domestic issues and the Police where called. The police forced entry to the property and broke the window in the front door. A company was called out by the police to board up the damage. 12 months later the boarding company started to pester me to pay the invoice as the tenant had not paid. I told them that there was a tenancey agreement in place and they should chase the tenannt. This morning I received another call 2 years later chasing me for payment. I told them to take me to court. Am I liable for this?

Yes, you are liable for the fabric of the building. I think you are liable for this bill. It may be covered under your buildings insurance as (accidental) damage, it certainly wasn't criminal damage.

When did you first hear of the incident?
    Who notified you - tenant or police?
    what is the cost involved?
    How many individuals named on the tenancy agreement?
    What precisely happened - could you give more detail about the "domestic issues" on this PARTICULAR occasion?

You could try to pass this on to the (former) tenant, but I doubt if you'd get anywhere. It wasn't the tenant who broke the window.

Comment

The first time I heard about the incident was from the boarding company twelve months after the event.
      The cost is £220
      There was only one tenant on the agreement.
      I have no idea who called the police or exactly what went on. I believe that it was a domestic incident involving the tenant and his girl friend.
      The tennant was evicted as they they failed to pay the rent and has not be contactable since.

Comment

If the police breaks something then instruct a contractor to board the damage I don't see how you could have any liability to the contractor (not to mention the inflated price they are attempting to charge)...

Comment

IMO Police are resp for cost of boarding up (making secure), LL/T resp for cost of re-glazing.
          £220 is not excessive since we do not know size of area nor time of callout. It would be an allowable LL expense.

Comment

It would be covered on my landlord's insurance.

By which, rather peculiar logic, I suspect that Landlords would normally end up responsible for this kind of fee.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for all the advise and I think I will take my chances in court.
              It was 1am and I had paid to have the window replaced prior to being contacted by the boarding company as the tenant had done a runner I thought he had boarded it up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X