Will they be a Lodger or Tenant??

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Will they be a Lodger or Tenant??

    I have posted before on here about problems with my son/wife but they are moving out now so thank you for your help on that.....
    So...... I have a question as I want to rent out the rooms again.
    IF they have there own bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, lounge (no locks or doors to the upstairs, just upstairs as you come in the front door ) AND if I say they can share my other 2nd lounge and toilet (both downstairs with me) AND hoover the stairs and say wash their sheets can I call them a lodger and not have to get a Non-assured tenancy agreement. ??
    All bills would be included as well. I am getting confused about the grey areas on all of this.
    I may also need help on an Agreement depending on what is best to do.
    thanks in anticipation.

    I think they would be lodgers.

    Offering a 'service' such as cleaning confirms their status, and the fact you live under the same roof.

    Make sure that you use a decent lodger agreement though not an altered AST.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg


      Thank you,
      Where would I get a 'decent' lodger agreement from ??


        Going back a fair while, I have never had a Lodger agreement.

        Verbal agreement between me and landlord to pay rent every month of £ x, keep ALL the place tidy of my own items, and deposit of one months rent, and 24 hours notice to leave if I cause a problem.

        You can put that and a bit more in a simple document, signed by both, but if you want to go the full monty, then find a lodger agreement but modify it to apply to your situation.

        But you DO have a sort of self contained flat ? and you don't have to have locks on if you don't want.
        You don't have to have locks on your external front door if you don't want to.
        But sharing the whole house with lodger would be o.K. just to have them as a lodger.
        But if he / she can use your bathroom and kitchen, then you must state you can use his as well, otherwise you are not sharing the house.

        You will verbaly state that, of course, you expect him / her to use their own bathroom and kitchen.


          Tessa does a lodger agreement. I think it costs £19 and well worth.



            Thanks for your advice.
            So....... do all reading this think I should definitely go for Lodger Agreement, as am I right in thinking if I go for full self contained flat (although no door to their bit) I have all the HMO, full tax implications, separate Council Tax bills etc etc to deal with.
            I really just want it to be quite easy and do it by the Rent A Room Scheme(although declare the higher rent to them).
            So IF I say they can use my kitchen as well and Lounge, and clean the stairs and wash sheets and supply towels (but tell them verbally to use their own bathroom/kitchen) it should be OK????
            Thanks for your help.


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
              by DPT57
              Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
              22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
            • Rent Rises in 2020
              by jpucng62
              I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
              19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
            • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
              by jpucng62
              Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
              22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
            • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
              by MR M
              I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
              22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
            • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
              by MR M
              The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

              I believe that the tenant...
              16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
            • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
              by newtenant9011
              You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

              In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
              22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
            • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
              by thesleepingdog

              I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

              During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
              22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
            • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
              by DPT57
              In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
              22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
            • Reply to Rats
              by ChrisDennison
              These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
              22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
            • Rats
              by ETB
              I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
              21-09-2020, 22:15 PM