My first tenant has left - deposit deductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first tenant has left - deposit deductions

My first tenant has checked out and I wonder if anyone can cast any light on which of the items below may be charged for. I'd prefer to charge them nothing, but there is additional work to do:

1. Cleaning: Oven, fridge, washing machine, sinks, toilets all need a good clean. They are so-so, but cannot be handed over to another tenant in their current state. Their condition is worse than at check-in. Do I have to get external cleaners in and pass on an invoice, or, do it myself and charge per hour? I'm not looking to make a proft here, but just to get everything clean.

2. Damage: They have chipped (5mm) the bathroom sink. The sink is two years old. What's the procedure here? I understand that I cannot charge them to replace it as it still works and the damage is cosmetic..

3. Garden: It's very overgrown and will take me 1.5-2 days to restore it. I'd prefer to do this, rather than getting agardener in.

4. Missing items: a couple of low value (£10) items are missing. Do I charge them just the replacement cost, or replacement+my time, or would you just cover the cost and ignore?

I have a full inventory and these items have been highlighted in the check-out (at which they were not present, do to logisitics).

Many thanks

Orson

Get quotes from cleaners and gardeners and get them to do the work. Minimal effort from you, tenant see the proper cost rather than you proportioning for your time, would you declare the income from your 'work'?

It's not your money being spent it's the T's why would you want to personally clean an oven?
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Thanks for making me 'see the light'. Any idea about item 2? Obtain quotes for fixing?

What would be the response if the tenant had chopped something down in the garden that took 16 years to grow and was very difficult to replace/reproduce?

Comment

While the tenant is living there, its their property and they can garden as they wish.
        If you want to preserve something specific write it in to the tenancy agreement (make it a negative condition - The tenant agrees not to cut down the apple tree next to the greenhouse - not positive The tenant agrees to properly look after the apple tree next to the greenhouse).

You would expect a sink to last 10 years (I have no idea) so you can only charge them for the proportion that they denied you.
        A chipped sink is probably a problem for your next tenant and they'll ask you to replace / fix it.

I don't have a clue how to fix a chip in a sink.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Orson67,

Is it your old house or a house you bought specifically for letting out? If it's the former I would have paid a gardener to do the gardening if it was something that I wanted cherished by a stranger as I would have cherished it myself and expressly forbidden them from doing anything like that to the garden. You can't do alot after the event if you didn't stipulate what you wanted to happen to 'their' garden. If it's the latter then although the garden is 'nice' how often are you going to be sitting in it/using it/looking at whats there?

As for item number 2, I think a small charge is in order but as you say difficult to charge them for a brand new sink.
          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Thanks.

The tenant has gone. They didn't do any gardening apart from chopping down something and cutting the grass. Everything else was left to grow wild.

Sink - it's a small chip. There are people who attempts repairs but the price is not dissimilar to replacing it I would imagine. Not sure if a small chip warrants replacement though.

Comment

Wannadonnadoodah,

It's our old house. The tenancy agreement states:

"Where any Garden, Driveways, Pathways, Lawns, Hedges and Rockeries are included in the Tenancy, the Tenant agrees to keep them clean and tidy, properly cultivated and free from weeds and to keep any grass regularly mown, and trees and shrubs pruned and not to be cut down or removed. Furthermore, the Tenant agrees not to alter the layout of any Garden, Driveways, Pathways, Lawns, Hedges and Rockeries without the Landlord’s prior written consent."

Comment

if the sink is not too new, i'd be tempted to get a new sink fitted and charge a reasonable fee for damage. what is reasonable im not sure.

however, the problem with replacing things, is that it usually leads to a cascade of fixing. for example your new sink wont be the same and there'll be different holes needed in your nicely tiled wall. so then you think of replacing some of the tiling, except that never works without replacing the whole wall. Then there are the other things on the wall. etc. then there's the plumbing changes....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
                  by Chester Perry
                  I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
                  18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
                • Part furnished
                  by Chester Perry
                  Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                  18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                  by jpkeates
                  A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
                  The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
                  18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
                • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                  by Bumblebee3000
                  We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
                  17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
                • Reply to Part furnished
                  by theartfullodger
                  Trust you've reported the thefts to police
                  18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                  by Bumblebee3000
                  This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
                  18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                  by jpkeates
                  The process seems to have changed recently.
                  The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
                  You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
                  But you do that with only access to what the...
                  18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
                • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                  by Maymiss
                  I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
                  03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
                • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                  by jpkeates
                  Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
                  18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
                • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                  by fmST1
                  When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                  I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                  11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
                Working...
                X