Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    It's not entirely a property law question, it's also a contract question.

What does your agreement with the landlord say that they will supply you and at what cost?
    Is it a tenancy agreement, and if so what type of tenancy does it say it is and what type is it actually?
    What harm have you suffered and what compensation / refund are you seeking?
    How will you overcome their (apparent) defence that this is a mistake - which presumably they could remedy by offering you an alternative room?

Leave a comment:

• Wannadonnadoodah
    replied
    Sorry for being unhelpful. I can't help with the question unfortunately I'm not qualified. I'm just a lay man. Regardless of law, you need to write to them, let them know they've been caught out, mention that you're a recently graduated law student and supply your bank details for them to credit X amount of money into within 5 working days or you'll have to take alternative action.

Leave a comment:

• EvansR
    replied
    Originally posted by Wannadonnadoodah View Post
    Oh the irony.
    I'm sorry, what is ironic about this?
    If you don't know how to deal with such a question, you're welcome to say so. I just thought the expertise of landlords on this site may be able to assist me in determining the extent of my former landlord's wrongdoing.

Leave a comment:

• Wannadonnadoodah
    replied
    Oh the irony.

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    If you're a new lawyer then you don't need advice from us about how to write a LBA, and to follow it through if you have to.

The least they should do is refund any rent you have paid since the new tenants took the place over.

Leave a comment:

• EvansR
    started a topic Landlord Double Booking Rooms

Landlord Double Booking Rooms

Hi everyone,

Myself and a handful of students in Leicester, UK have run into a sticky situation with the landlord.
    From September 30th 2013 to July 12th 2014, we payed £115 a week for individual rooms at a Private Halls of Residence (Liberty Park, Leicester).
    Of course, our courses ended in the middle of May, and we moved our stuff back to our homes.

On July 10th 2014, I went to hand over my keys, so I took a trip to Leicester and went to my flat which I was still contracted to, and to which I still had the keys.
    I unlocked the door, and to my horror, I found a room full of items which didn't belong to me. A TV, laptop, clothes, books ...smoking paraphernalia...
    They have been charging myself AND the new tenant £115 a week - essentially having double booked my flat.
    I have recently graduated with a degree in Law, but at no point in my Property Law course did I ever come across a situation of double-booked housing.

Then I looked on a Facebook page where for tenants of the property, and found out that they have done this repeatedly and it wasn't just a "mistake" as they tried fobbing it off to me as.

I would like any advice you can give as to whether I can do anything, and if so, what can I do.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X