named occupiers or named tenants on lease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• named occupiers or named tenants on lease?

Can someone please advise if its better to have named tenants on a lease or have one tenant (parent responisble for paying the family rent) with named occupiers when letting to a family on an AST?

Scenario 2 - to have both parents named on a tenancy agreement and have the teenage kids as named occupiers or named tenants?

The scenario is a family moving into a house, with one parent paying the family rent, the others contibuting informally within a family arrangement.

I would like to be in the strongest position as a landlord should things go wrong and they need evicting/removing from the property for rent default or otherwise.

I looked into rent insurance but they are all seem very restricitve and need all parties to be named on the tenancy and paying rent to get cover.

Many thanks
    Smithie

I think you legally HAVE to name all adults living in a property on a TA. If i'm wrong on this I still think it'd be safer to do it this way.
    Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

Just to clarify I have been told you can name the one person as a "tenant" and include the others as named occupiers..

Comment

I believe the children would have to be 18 to enter into a contract. Both parents - I would put both on the agreement.
        ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Thanks - the children are over 18 and will be contributing toward the rent, this is an informal arrangement within the family.

Can someone advise of the difference between named tenants and named occupiers as this is where I am struggling to understand the legal implications should things go wrong...

Thanks
          Smithie

Comment

Originally posted by smithie View Post
            Thanks - the children are over 18 and will be contributing toward the rent, this is an informal arrangement within the family.

Can someone advise of the difference between named tenants and named occupiers as this is where I am struggling to understand the legal implications should things go wrong...

Thanks
            Smithie
            Only tenants are liable under Agreement. If they default, you can section 8 them.
            Occupants aren't and you can't.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Surely tenants are occupiers who are responsible for paying the rent. Other occupiers, adults or children occupy the property with the consent of the tenant(s) and may be lodgers. Should court action be taken against the tenant(s) then the court bailiff will remove all occupiers when enforcing a possession order. Of course, HMO regulations also have to be considered.

P.P.
              Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
                Surely tenants are occupiers who are responsible for paying the rent. Other occupiers, adults or children occupy the property with the consent of the tenant(s) and may be lodgers. Should court action be taken against the tenant(s) then the court bailiff will remove all occupiers when enforcing a possession order. Of course, HMO regulations also have to be considered.

P.P.
                Yes. What I meant was:
                a. tenants are liable (whether or not they actually occupy); but
                b. occupiers who are not tenants are therefore not liable.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                  IoIo
                  Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                  26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                  mariner
                  'The Tenant' (all 3), can vacate at end of fixed term with no Notice. If remainers sign a new AST to commence after fixed termpref naming new joint, this sould replace original AST. Deed of Surrender is 'belt & brace'.

If incomer signs a Deed of Assignment they only inherit the term...
                  28-07-2017, 00:28 AM
                • Lease extension
                  chrisco
                  Hi All, I have approached the freeholder on an informal basis to extend the lease of a flat I own as a rental. He has come up with reasonable price for the premium to extend to 125 years from now but wants to double the ground rent every 25 years (from £80 to £160 p/a initially). My solicitor has...
                  27-07-2017, 23:59 PM
                • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                  DPT57
                  I think the problem may be that they are not really 'moving out'. There is a long thread elsewhere on the forum that may be of interest. Although unresolved, it suggests that if some of them don't move out then an SPT will arise automatically for all of them. I really don't want to restart that discussion...
                  27-07-2017, 23:18 PM
                • TO SELL OR (VS) TO RENT ? 91 Years Lease Flat In London...
                  alenuk
                  Dear All
                  Going through some changes...
                  I am just going through divorce that need to be Absolute in approx 2 months.
                  Also have just left work after 8 years...really need new challenge as they said.

I do have one buy to let property in London that have been renting for approx...
                  25-07-2017, 14:05 PM
                • Reply to TO SELL OR (VS) TO RENT ? 91 Years Lease Flat In London...
                  DPT57
                  The Leasehold Advisory Service has an online lease extension calculator that should give you a rough idea of the cost.
                  27-07-2017, 22:47 PM
                • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  BouwensPB
                  I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                  26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  Galatea
                  I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
                  27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                  Pb21
                  Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                  25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                  Galatea
                  Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
                  The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
                  27-07-2017, 22:13 PM
                Working...
                X