Termination of contract with letting agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Termination of contract with letting agent

I have a tenant on a six month AST - she has indicated that she wishes to be settled and wants to continue beyond this for the forseeable future. She is a good tenant and I am happy with this. As a new landlord I decided to use a letting agent and I have a six month contract with them and need to give one month's notice of termination before end of contract. I would then like to continue to fully manage the tenancy myself for the future. I am not sure how to go about this and would appreciate any advice. I assume that I would need to create a new tenancy agreement between the tenant and myself rather than the letting agent and that the original deposit would be returned to the tenant and we would effectively be starting from scratch again. Would the tenant also need to give notice to the letting agent as the tenancy agreement is signed by the letting agent rather than myself? I am just not sure where responsibilities lie.

I do the day to day management myself and pay 8% to the agent for collecting and guaranteeing rent - this figure also covers the original tenant find service and credit checks etc. I paid an additional £120 for legal services which included creation of tenancy agreement and guaranteed rent for the duration of the six months. They do not like rolling tenacies and would not guarantee rent should I wish to do this - effectively they want £120 every six months for a new contract. I feel that I would be better off doing the whole thing myself. (Incidentally I also found the tenant myself)

Firstly, of course you would be better doing all this yourself (I believe).

Secondly, there's always risks - but I don't see (from my experience) how having an Agent in the loop helps anyone to mitigate these risks. Agents are not often bringing good reputations and any level of usefulness to the party.

Thirdly, the Agent may be annoyed with you when they find out you'd like to go down this route... so you might want to test the water with them by informing them you no longer require their services from X date. See how they react to that? They may spit out their dummy, they may try to enforce various terms and conditions you may be surprised to hear about, now. But, yes, going it alone means you - as Landlord - are entirely responsible for everything (really as you are today, right?) and ensure you get the obligation sorted properly... deposit and AST are important (I'd suggest writing your own AST that's specific to the property - but you may want to download one). Ensure the Tenant is fully on-side with your plan as well... you don't want the Agent to divide-and-conquer... and ensure after X date they are paying rent directly to you, not the Agent. I'd ask - as well - is there a benefit in all this to the Tenant, or is it just you saving 8%?

Make a list of the things you need to do... 1) read through (thoroughly) the Ts&Cs you've signed with the Agent, 2) ensuring Tenant is on board, 3) change of payment, 4) deposit stuff, 5) new AST, 6) informing Agent in writing etc.... then get on them.

Good luck, it would be good to hear how you progress and the eventual outcome.

Comment

You need to read your agreement with your agent carefully.
      My agreement with my agent means that if I cancel the arrangement as you propose, I have to pay them a month's rent, for example.
      That's not a bad thing (I knew about it and agreed to it) but it would makes a difference to my thinking in your situation.

If the current tenancy agreement mentions the agent by name, you'll probably need a new one, yes.

In what way does your agent "guarantee rent"?
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The agent pays the rent to me regardless of whether he has received it from the tenant. He would then pursue the tenant for any arrears.

I intend to continue with the agent until the end of the six months assured tenancy, when I believe my contract with the agent comes to an end as a new agreement with the tenant would have to be put in place. My understanding is that I would give noticeto the agent one month before the tenancy ends. I don't think I should be expected to remain with the letting agent as long as the present tenant is in the property or to suffer any financial penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Patricia246 View Post
          I don't think I should be expected to remain with the letting agent as long as the present tenant is in the property or to suffer any financial penalty.
          Let's hope everyone agrees.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
            by Moderator2
            Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
            1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
            18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
          • Tenant references are a joke.
            by Hooper
            I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
            17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
          • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
            by jpkeates
            The underlay is the key.
            At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
            18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
          • Typical lifetime of carpets
            by davett
            I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
            17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
            by jpucng62
            Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
            18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
          • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
            by jpkeates
            There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
            The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
            If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
            18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
          • MCOL & PCOL
            by OS7
            Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
            04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
            18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
            by Hooper
            Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
            18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
            by Hooper
            With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
            18-09-2021, 12:10 PM
          Working...
          X