Pile of stuff and pile of trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pile of stuff and pile of trouble?

Please read this email trace between landlord and prospective tenant.

The prospect had been given notice by previous landlord and asked me (as a favour) whether he could store his stuff at the new address whilst his tenancy application was being processed. I agreed and he hired a van. I attended and helped move a pile of personal items onto lounge floor. He was not given key and no agreements signed. I have returned all moneys to him as I do not wish to offer a tenancy. However I have a pile of stuff in lounge. Where do I stand legally?

To Landlord

Today at 14:13 deposited £400 part of rent will pay £100 Monday, please acknowledge these payments.

Thanks

Prospective Tenant

Sent from my iPhone

On 4 Jul 2014, at 11:50, To Landlord

Hello Prospective Tenant

As advised, please forward your bank details as follows:

Bank Name (as it appears on your bank card)
    Branch Address
    Account Name (as it appears on your bank card)
    Account Number (as it appears on your bank card)
    Sort Code (as it appears on your bank card)

Please deposit the sum of £500 to cover the rent from 08/07/2014 - 07/08/2014 using the bank details as follows:

Bank : xxxx
    Account Name : Landlord
    Account Number: xxx
    Sort Code: xxx
    Payment Reference: xxx

Please remember to bring you cheque book or bank card with you on Tuesday.

Kind regards

Landlord

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: Landlord
    Subject: RE: Bank Details
    Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 13:53:28 +0100

Landlord,
    Thanks I have deposited £650 deposit for xxx Road as agreed last night and this morning and now i wait to give you my passport photocopy and leave to London.
    Prospective tenant

Sent from my Windows Phone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: ‎03/‎07/‎2014 12:31
    To: Prospective Tenant
    Subject: Bank Details

Hello Tenant

Our bank details are:

Bank : xxx
    Account Name : Landlord
    Account Number: xxx
    Sort Code: xxx
    Payment Reference: x

Amount:
    Referencing fee (£150) + Deposit (£500) = £650

Kind regards

Landlord

An offer of a tenancy - looks like.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I thought a tenancy only commenced (without TA) after taking of rent AND occupation.

Comment

Any property lawyers out there with an option? Advice greatly appreciated.

Comment

What is the problem?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Hi, The Saint.

Have you read the full thread?

The issue is I (as LL) have had cold feet about a prospective tenant (with very good reason) the eve before TA was due to be signed and for him to be given keys. I've returned the deposit, credit admin fee and part first month's rent (this was short of £100 which he had agreed to transfer but didn't). Complication is that he asked a favour that he could come up from London last Saturday and leave some of his stuff in the lounge (books and other bric a brac) as he had to move out of his room last Friday. Although he was never given keys, my worry is that I may have created a tenancy already? If not, what do I do with his stuff? Does 28 days notice to collect suffice?

Comment

Yes, I had read the thread. I just didn't see what the issue you have right now.

I understand that you have returned his money, but ave you told him that you won't be going ahead?
              If you have, what was his response?
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I have told him but he doesn't accept this (keeps sending text messages). Thinks he was granted a tenancy? Wants compensation for the courier to take his stuff up from London in a van and rail fares etc. He was given an invalid S21 notice for a student room (it looks like he was licensee not an assured tenant) and has handed his last landlord back the keys and claims I've made him homeless!

Comment

It does sound like he has grounds for some compensation to me. You have caused him to incur costs by changing your mind.

Comment

A lot hinges on what correspondence happened in regards to him moving his belongings into the property in the first place.

Comment

The recorded dialogue I had with him is the email thread in my first post. He asked me a favour (by telephone) and I reluctantly obliged. I drove to the property and helped unload the items. He was not given a key.

Comment

Hmmm I struggle to see how the tenant would not at least hold an equitable lease, based on the proceedings between the two of you and how a reasonable person would understand them. This equitable lease may not be an AST but certainly some sort of monthly tenancy. I think you may well have a tenant who you should better not prevent from accessing his flat.

Comment

Originally posted by John Duff View Post
                          The recorded dialogue I had with him is the email thread in my first post. He asked me a favour (by telephone) and I reluctantly obliged. I drove to the property and helped unload the items. He was not given a key.
                          None of this is shown in the dialogue you've quoted. Your reluctance is only known by you, alone. If I was that reluctant I don't think I would have obliged. You, on the other hand, agreed and even helped. This is not said to make you feel bad... it is just an objective reading of the information presented. I think it is bad form of you to allow him to get that far, then change your mind. It might be your prerogative (it might not) but it's not coming across well. You say you got cold feet with very good reason, but we're reading this simply unaware of what that very good reason might be.

I think you - at the very least - do need to be compensating him for the trip to take his things to the property and the trip required to take them back - but to where is entirely another question if the prospective Tenant effectively has nowhere to go. It doesn't appear to be his fault he's ended up in this predicament (again, from the information provided) and you could've put your foot down much earlier, you had good intentions I am sure, instead of getting involved prior to commencement of the tenancy proper.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                            by Moderator2
                            Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
                            1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
                            18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
                          • Tenant references are a joke.
                            by Hooper
                            I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
                            17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
                          • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                            by jpkeates
                            The underlay is the key.
                            At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
                            18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
                          • Typical lifetime of carpets
                            by davett
                            I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
                            17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
                            by jpucng62
                            Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
                            18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
                          • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                            by jpkeates
                            There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
                            The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
                            If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
                            18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
                          • MCOL & PCOL
                            by OS7
                            Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                            04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
                            18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
                            by Hooper
                            Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
                            18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
                            by Hooper
                            With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
                            18-09-2021, 12:10 PM
                          Working...
                          X