where to advertise a London flat to let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone advise me of the best websites to advertise a London flat to let?
    Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

www.gumtree.com has always worked well for me. have tried Loot a number of times but with no success

Comment

Thanks Nick. Loot always used to be wonderful when advertising was free - it just goes to show the truth of the old saying: 'you don't get what you pay for'!
      Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

you have to be careful with Gumtree.. I had about 12 replies to my ad saying the property was "exactly what they were looking for"... as soon as I sent an application pack I never heard from them again..... or there were those that wanted to send me 6 months rent upfront without even seeing the place in an attempt to get out of the application stage! ... then they wanted money back etc!! I have been able to tick the box of every scam known to renting just by advertising on gumtree!!!
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Which part of London is your Flat?

Comment

Wood Green N22

Comment

well Uncle Fester? any ideas??

Comment

perhaps these problems are location based. In London I've used gumtree to find 10 tenants in the last 12 months (also using applications) without experiencing any of these problems. as gumtree is free lawstudent might find it worth a try

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                you have to be careful with Gumtree.. I had about 12 replies to my ad saying the property was "exactly what they were looking for"... as soon as I sent an application pack I never heard from them again..... or there were those that wanted to send me 6 months rent upfront without even seeing the place in an attempt to get out of the application stage! ... then they wanted money back etc!! I have been able to tick the box of every scam known to renting just by advertising on gumtree!!!

Comment

I have also used gumtree successfully several times always get a few "chancers" but that happens with Loot and various other sites too.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    I feel it's unfair to penalize single parent just because of receiving UC which is mainly used to pay childcare costs. She's no risk because she's on her own without that second income. I guess it's true there are fewer properties to rent and landlords can afford to be fussy. It's disheartening for...
                    19-05-2022, 05:31 AM
                  • Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                  • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                    by Hudson01
                    The quote you gave from the contract does not give a maximum %%, it just say '' in line '', that could mean it goes up a little or a lot..... it seems a bit vague. In the end if this property has become too expensive for you then in time you may have to move to somewhere cheaper (if they exist !!)....
                    19-05-2022, 04:58 AM
                  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                    by Hudson01
                    Do not let this get out of hand, increase the rent by the amount you say every year, and i would go for even more, have an honest conversation with the tenant, if she cannot afford it then it maybe time for her to move on, if you let it get too far behind then you will never catch up with this tenant.........
                    19-05-2022, 04:53 AM
                  • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by DoricPixie
                    You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
                    19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
                  • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by flyingfreehold
                    Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                    18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
                    by flyingfreehold
                    but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
                    19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
                    by DoricPixie
                    You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
                    19-05-2022, 00:35 AM
                  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
                    19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
                  • Windows and front door smashed
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
                    In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
                    17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
                  Working...
                  X