Shorthold Tenancy Agreement Breach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorthold Tenancy Agreement Breach

I have a tenant in the flat above my shop where the previously agreed short hold tenancy gave permission to have two dogs. They have without permission introduced an additional dog into the flat and have advised that although this may be in breach of the agreement they have no intention in removing the additional dog.

Can I serve the tenant notice for breach of the short hold tenancy on the matter of the additional dog?

Just serve a section 21 notice. It leads to a mandatory eviction. There is no need to argue in court about numbers of dogs.

Comment

Do keep the evidence of the extra dog to back up any deductions to the deposit, though.

Comment

In answer to your question, you could serve notice for breach of the agreement, but I'd be amazed if a court would support your claim on something relatively minor. You allowed 2 dogs, so a 3rd is hardly a major breach.

Once again JK0 is suggesting throwing around s21s without a hint of trying to resolve the situation. That sort of behaviour from landlords after every minor breach will ensure a change in the law in the future which makes eviction much harder. Yes you could serve a s21 (assuming all your deposit protection is in order) but is it really worth the hassle of reletting when you clearly don't object to dogs in the first place.

If on the other hand these tenants have been generally problematic with other issues then a s21 is more justified.
        IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Had the same problem, no pets allowed. Then it was her Mums old dog that her Mother couldn't cope with, then Daughters goldfish, tropical frog finally hampster.

Remove pets or go, pets gone overnight.

Goss
          Long suffering Landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
            Wiffle
            Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
            17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
          • licensee vs tenant
            imjustbait
            i have been given 14 days notice -

i asked my friend for help and to sort things out if possible, as he works in lettings etc -

he said to be this is a licensee contract not an (AST) one - (i didnt know)

basically, i want to know what rights i have to...
            07-02-2019, 20:58 PM
          • Reply to licensee vs tenant
            tenant83
            I don't get why you wouldn't have applied for Universal Credit and got a loan from them to cover your rent. You may have fell behind 5 or 6 weeks, but the loan would have covered that. I don't get the reason for not paying the rent at all for so many months. You've basically shot yourself in the foot....
            17-06-2019, 17:12 PM
          • Company lets
            paulamis
            My company are bringing in some Indian nationals for a few months training.

Secretary went and asked local agents and was fobbed off with nonsense like, "has to be an AST and the law says min 1 yr", I guess the agents don't need the complication.
            17-06-2019, 11:41 AM
          • Reply to Company lets
            Wainwright
            On the other hand, my brother has let (via agent) his property to a company (a well known technological giant) for the past few years with no problems whatsoever! He's found the tenants (foreign nationals) much better than former ones. Rent is always paid on time....
            17-06-2019, 16:58 PM
          • Damage not recorded in inventory
            rosieflowers
            Hi,

We recently went in to do some (legitimate, reasonable) repairs on our let property and saw that the tenant has melted some of the UPVC window sill which is directly above the electric hob. It's an area of about one inch wide and six inches long and the burn is partly superficial but...
            17-06-2019, 08:18 AM
          • Reply to Damage not recorded in inventory
            Stef Cooke
            Having read your description and seen the picture I would assign that to the landlord if I were the clerk, much as I do heat warped doors around built in cookers.

As nukecad said, you could trim it back flush to the wall and line the width of the hob with tiles, stainless steel etc. But...
            17-06-2019, 16:41 PM
          • Suicide of tenant
            NickCanterbury
            I rented out my house while working in Europe. One of my tenants commited suicide about three weeks ago and after a several days or more the other two tenants were worried and got the police to break down the door of his room and find his body. A tragedy that has obviously upset me enormously but without...
            17-06-2019, 16:34 PM
          • Reply to Suicide of tenant
            Kape65
            I appreciate the stigma could reduce the value but not every buyer will concern themselves with that. I have just sold a property last week and don't remember being asked if any deaths had occurred in the property so not sure about disclosure. I imagine you can't lie if asked outright. There can't be...
            17-06-2019, 16:41 PM
          • dispute with council over council tax
            halfax
            i have been billed for council tax for a property that was rent out. the tenant also ran a pub. he left last november , i told the council he had gone and informed them when the new tenant moved in . they billed me for when the property was empty. and i paid that bill . now 8 moths later the tenat...
            15-06-2019, 16:31 PM
          Working...
          X