Why might my tenant want a new tenancy agreement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why might my tenant want a new tenancy agreement?

I have a tenant with an Assured Shorthold Tenancy that was originally set up in 2003 and a new tenancy agreement was signed in 2007. She has just asked me for a new tenancy agreement. Any idea why?
    The only two reasons that come to mind are a) she's going to try to claim Housing Benefit - but as far as I'm aware her circumstances will prevent this, or b) she's potentially going to default on the rent and wants to be protected for the initial period of the new tenancy.
    Neither of these is good for me. Can anyone think of any other possible reasons?
    Thanks!

They can't force you to give them one. If you're worried about sinister reasons, ask them why, if the reason they give you isn't to your satisfaction just say that you're happy to remain on a periodic. The worst that can happen is they give you notice to leave.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Maybe she has been (wrongly) told her LL can evict her on 2 month Notice, and she wants longer security of Tenure?
      Either follow Wanna's advice or suggest if she wants a new AST, after 10+ years this would require new credit checKs & refs,for which she will have to pay in advance.
      Total b/s of course, but it may focus the Ts mind.

Comment

Was there a deposit, and has it been protected?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Why don't you ask her?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Tenants ask for new agreements for a variety of reasons but the main two are proof of address and security of tenure. Your tenant probably needs a newly dated tenancy as proof of address for financial reasons like applying for benefits.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X