Utilities Bills After Tenants Left

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Utilities Bills After Tenants Left


    I think I've got myself in a bit of a pickle.

    My tenants moved out of one of my properties and into another of my properties. I took photographs of the meter readings - but they have disappeared off of my phone!! No further gas or electricity was used as the property was sold. There was a period of about 10 weeks in between the move out date and completion of the sale so I guess I would be obliged to pay the 'standing charges'. My mistake is I didn't contact the utility supplier (totally forgot).

    Anyway I now have a company called LCS Credit Management Debt Recovery Investigations demanding I pay X amount. I haven't had a bill and the figure is way in excess of the basic standing charge. I've asked for a copy of the bills before paying anything.

    Does anyone know if I can go direct to the original utility supplier to resolve this or do I have to deal with this company?

    Many thanks

    See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2983648

    I would contact the supplier (British Gas?) both to pay and to make sure the account is closed.


      I think the supplier is EDF.

      I'm quite happy to pay what I owe - just the correct amount. I'll contact the supplier.


        Did T terminate utility Contract?
        Unless Utility accepts the Ts termination date, provided by LL,your inability to provide a final meter reading, then you may be liable for all usage since last reading
        They are still your Ts, albeit diff property, so ask them & negotiate a mutually acceptable outcome.



          There is no usage as everything was switched off. I've got the meter readings now and they tie up nicely with previous tenant and the new owners. Ringing the suppliers tomorrow to get the revised bill.



          Latest Activity


          • Long time tenants , no TA
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
            Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
            Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
            Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months...
            18-09-2019, 07:23 AM
          • Finding new tenant
            Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
            I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant...
            15-09-2019, 20:27 PM
          • Reply to Finding new tenant
            I'd still let to them but before doing so would make it clear that you'll be carrying out a courtesy visit in around 6 weeks/2 months to see how they're getting on and if there are any problems....
            18-09-2019, 07:20 AM
          • Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
            I am just advertising a newly renovated HMO. I have had an enquiry from a prospective tenant who has advised (pretty last minute in our discussions) that he has an 8 year old son who stays with him Thursday night to Sunday afternoon each week.

            Do landlords typically allow this? I personally...
            17-09-2019, 05:45 AM
          • Reply to Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
            and the ratio of people to toilets and showers.

            It's all such a bad idea. My HMOs aren't safety checked for children and I've no idea if any of the tenants are on the sex offenders list....
            18-09-2019, 07:15 AM
          • Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
            Hi everyone,

            I currently have a TDS adjudication with my ex-tenants ongoing. The tenants' deposit is 4300. The damages i am trying to claim in total is 7000. Even if i do get awarded the full deposit, i'm still short 2700. Im wondering if Small Claims via Money Claim Online (MCOL) is available...
            16-09-2019, 19:24 PM
          • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
            I used Once white emulsion to paint over black walls and ceilings and just one coat really did cover it, and I'm no decorating expert. I also used Once gloss to cover black gloss and again it covered it. £5000 seems very high for a 2 bed property, unless it was a huge place.

            £672 also...
            18-09-2019, 07:12 AM
          • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
            Thanks everyone. I figured I should wait for the adjudication decision - if its in my favor, then i can consider small claims. If it isn't, i definitely can forget it.

            But i suppose if the adjudication is in my favor, i can start small claims , since it is possible i will not be required...
            18-09-2019, 03:50 AM
          • Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
            Wondering if someone can help me here.
            I live in Council Estate. Having a mortgage and been living here since 2002
            Earlier this year gang of thieves entered Storage Room (doors are secured with number lock) and broken into my storage and tools worth approximately £ 2000 were taken.
            email to council
            16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
          • Reply to Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
            Any non-workng Security system can have a detterence factor untll sussed eg dummy alarm boxes.
            L has no duty to provide CCTV in communal areas and is best advised not to do so,...
            18-09-2019, 01:36 AM