Lodger not paying rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodger not paying rent

I just wondeed if anyone knows where I stand as a Landlord on this one. I live in the same house as my lodger and I gave him 2 months' notice followed by him giving me 1 months notice. He hasn't paid me rent for his final month despite me asking her for it. I think he believes the deposit is effectively the final month's rent, although I've told him the deposit is quite separate (and he owes me outstanding bills).

Where do I stand with my rights if he doesn't pay this months rent and he is still living in my house? I feel very vulnerable (I forgot to say we've had an argument and are not on speaking terms-we just communicate by letter!).

Nellie

Lodger

Your lodger has no tenancy rights and has outstayed his welcome - he is effectively a trespasser in your home.
    He's in a similar position to an hotel guest who has been asked to leave - the management would throw him out.
    This may be a bit drastic, especially if he's aggressive.
    You could try asking for police assitance, though they may not oblige as it's really a civil matter, but voilence is not.
    You could risk a lock-out, though you are obliged to take care of his possessions, though legally your on dicy ground here.
    Perhaps safer to obtain a court possession order as a last resort, and sue for your lost rent, court and bailiff costs etc when he has left.
    Of course you may then need to use a tracing agent to find him, but if he's earning money and you go about it right as small claims action should recover all your costs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie View Post

Where do I stand with my rights if he doesn't pay this months rent and he is still living in my house?
      You can change the locks if you want, as he's only a lodger.

Originally posted by Nellie View Post
      we just communicate by letter
      In your own House

Comment

Scary Lodger

Thank you for your advice. There are a few things I'm unsure about though: you mentioned "dodgy ground" with regard to changing the locks and his possessions-why is legally dodgy ground? Is it in case he sues me for damaging them?

Also how do I obtain a court possession order? Does it take a while? Maybe I should just wait and see if he goes at the end of his notice.

Finally if I originally gave 2 months notice, does this mean he is eligable to pay 2 months rent even though he gave me 1 month? Of course my preference would be to get rid of him as soon as possible as he's quite creepy and is now deliberately making my life a misery.

Comment

Nellie, would it not be easier just wait till his time is up?

Comment

Dodgy Lodger

Probably-I guess I'll just have to put up with him. The changing locks thing is worrying me-supposing he forces entry or does something to my car?

Comment

^
              Is it really that Bad!

How long has he been in your house for? Have you got a work address, family address if he wrecks the place and does a runner?

Comment

Dodgy lodger

Yeah-I know all his details. Funnily enough I was warned he was a bit strange before he moved in-if only I'd listened!! It's taken me 2 years to work out just how strange he is! Thanks for the advice. Do you reckon I can still chase him for unpaid rent once he leaves?
                Nellie

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                  Berlingogirl
                  This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                  27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                  theartfullodger
                  No. But ask him for a copy of his passport and bank reference just to be amused by his response
                  27-07-2017, 14:52 PM
                  MrShed

I'm assuming you are posting this for a laugh
                  27-07-2017, 14:22 PM
                  nukecad
                  I'm surprised that you are even asking, it's obviously some kind of scam.

At the very least phishing for your personal contact details.

"British America Business man" who can't spell 'American' or even write English properly? - "my personal assistance and he...
                  27-07-2017, 14:11 PM
                • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                  Pb21
                  Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                  25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                  John Duff
                  Following on from my last post, had the tenant not informed the police and landlord at the time, they would have failed in their duty. I therefore would expect the tenant to foot the bill at the end of the tenancy or sooner.
                  27-07-2017, 13:45 PM
                • Tenant's energy debt.
                  Gordonmrln
                  I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                  20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                  Gordonmrln
                  Hi there, I've also been looking into the office of fair trading as nobody has said whether you believe that E.on or that LCS have acted is the correct manner when looking into a debt. well I have found out this piece of information and would like to know your thoughts and views if its correct and I'm...
                  27-07-2017, 13:30 PM
                  John Duff
                  Criminal damage not connected with the tenant occurred during the tenancy and was reported as such at the time. It is not the case that the tenant caused or was responsible for loss of value beyond wear and tear.

I'm just stating my view which appears to be backed up from sources other...
                  27-07-2017, 13:15 PM
                  jpkeates
                  If the tenancy ended and the lock was broken, it would be a loss in value beyond fair wear and tear and I'd expect the tenant to compensate the landlord for it.
                  Same as any other damage.

What's different about it during the tenancy?
                  27-07-2017, 13:03 PM
                Working...
                X