Tenant wants to move out during Fixed Term - how to recognise / accept this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant wants to move out during Fixed Term - how to recognise / accept this?

Hi all,

My tenants have just started month 5 of a 6 month AST. One of them made me a ware a few days back (via a very short email) that due to personal circumstances they want to move out at the end of the month.

I'm aware that I could technically 'force' them to pay until the end. However, my preferred option is to set a date (i.e. the day before the would normally pay the rent) and charge them a reasonable free (in effect a % of the monthly rent) to end the contract early. We both get to walk away cleanly then.

My question is more about how to go about terminating the contract:

- do they need to email / post mail me an official letter stating that they jointly want to end (surrender) the tenancy, and specify the preferred date

- then, if I email my terms, is that good enough as 'accepting' that they want to move out?

Or would this just amount to recognition of the situation? Do I need to get say a solicitor to draw up an official document outlining the agreed 'surrender' date and my terms and conditions? And then get everyone to sign?

Also, whatever I do, I want it to be really clear that they are the ones asking to end early (i.e. its them not me).

thanks in advance

Do all Ts are 'jointly & severally liable ASTs or ind ASTs for exclusive room & shared facilities'? Your OP is unclear on relationship if 'Yes'; are they students or a co-habiting family unit?
    Do all Ts want to leave at same time?
    Advice will vary, depending on your replies.
    Do I take it you are an inexperienced LL? No offence.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X