Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPS insured scheme -- silly question re ending a tenancy

Hello all

I have a fixed term tenancy ending on 23 June, and I have served a s.21 notice in the hope that the tenants will leave on that date. The deposit is protected with DPS insured scheme, and the tenancy is listed with as ending on 23 June. These tenants have been an absolute nightmare throughout their tenancy and could be very awkward (some of you will have seen -- and kindly responded to -- my thread from some months back about them), so I want to make sure I do everything 100% by the book.

I've just had an email from DPS as follows:

If the tenancy is ending, please remember to log into your account and request for the deposit to be closed. If the tenancy is continuing, you will still need to log into your account to update the deposit details.

Please note that if you do not log into your account to renew the tenancy or to change the tenancy status to periodic before the end of tenancy date the deposit will be automatically closed and your protection will end.
    This confuses me, as it appears to state that my protection will have to end on 23 June -- the day on which my tenants are supposed to move out. However, I won't be giving any of the deposit back until I've done a full inspection and acquired credible quotes for any damages, which will take at least a week from move-out date. So, during that final week or so it seems that I will be holding an unprotected deposit, and the tenants could potentially sue me for x3 its value? I have already phoned DPS to ask about this but I couldn't get the person on the other end of the phone to understand the question.

Additionally, if the tenants ignore the s.21 notice and I have to take them to court, will I have to pay another £22.20 to renew the deposit protection as a periodic tenancy?

None of what they have said makes any sense to me.

Originally posted by JamesHopeful View Post

Additionally, if the tenants ignore the s.21 notice and I have to take them to court, will I have to pay another £22.20 to renew the deposit protection as a periodic tenancy?
    Another £22.50?
    I have never heard of them charging.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Actually, I realise that the £22.20 charge for the insured scheme is a one-off charge (not annual), so whatever the answer there will in fact be no need for me to re-pay this. The rest of the question still stands, however.

Comment

Sorry, I missed that you had used their insurance backed scheme.
        I have no experience of that.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

The link below is to the "FAQ" of the insured DPS scheme. Hope it helps.

http://www.depositprotection.com/hel...end-of-tenancy

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X