Guarantor Help Needed Urgently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarantor Help Needed Urgently

Hello I need some advice as I am getting increasingly frustrated by the situation I am in at the mo'
    I am 21 years old am have moved from uni in Stoke to start work in London until September when I begin a new degree.
    I have found the perfect room, with excellent transport links to my work place and with nice housemates but and there is a big one I keep getting stopped at a major hurdle.
    The landlord is dealing with the house through an estate agent, and they the agent have done their credit check on myself and the agent told me to call up asumming that was it I came in and he says that I now need a guarantor, which I agree with to some lentghs but what about if you do not have one full stop.
    I am the first person in my family who is self made with a job, no children and an education. I will make 4x what the rent is each week (100pound) and I have no family eligable for this, so what else can I do? and also I am only renting the property for four months at this rate it will be three.

It seems as if the landlord does not want anyone to move in and this is causing alot of problems in itself for the girl who is moving from the room because of the silly and Over The Top things expirian credit checkers ask for.

Thank You,
    Please Help

Try an insurance company (it might guarantee your payments, at your own expense) or perhaps ask if your own Bank's reference for you would be acceptable instead.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank You for you reply

I have contacted the agent regarding what you have said and they are being very difficult saying that they are doing the check on behalf of the landlord and that it is done by Expirian not them so they just keep insisting that I need a guarantor.Ahh, this is putting me off renting.

Comment

They are not being difficult, they are doing their job which is protecting the landlord's asset. Why can't you get a guarantor? If not, then look at becoming a lodger in a private house. A Live-in landlord has much greater protection and would therefore not carry out such checks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleasehelp View Post
          I have contacted the agent regarding what you have said and they are being very difficult saying that they are doing the check on behalf of the landlord and that it is done by Expirian not them so they just keep insisting that I need a guarantor.Ahh, this is putting me off renting.
          They don't "need" a guarantor. They "want" a guarantor- not the same.
          If you can show financial stablility and a good track record, that really should suffice.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Well, you don't have a devine right to move into the property. If the credit check says you will need a guarantor then I certaintly think the landord is right to insist on it.

If you're in as good a job as you say then why not offer to take out a loan and pay the 4 months rent upfront? Most landlords would accept that.

Failing that you will have to find a guarantor. Do you really mean to say there is no one that knows and trusts you that would pass a credit check and stand as guarantor? I find that hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by paul_c View Post
              Failing that you will have to find a guarantor. Do you really mean to say there is no one that knows and trusts you that would pass a credit check and stand as guarantor? I find that hard to believe.
              As simple as that sounds, think about it another way. How many of your friends do you trust enough to make yourself liable for a potentially very large amount of money, with absolutely nothing in return? Finding a friend who would pass a credit check is one thing, but I know my friends certainly don't know enough about my financial situation for me to even ask them to put themselves in that position, and the ones who do are mostly in a worse financial situation than me, and have their own things to worry about without committing to guarantee my lifestyle as well.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                aciduzzo
                Tenants are moving out today and i am doing the final inspection later; however, last time i was at the flat i noticed the bathroom was in a poor state.

What is the general opinion on black mould that has formed inside bathroom silicone? Is it considered wear and tear? Also, the seal...
                03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
              • Reply to Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                mystic08
                You might like to gift your new tenants some Kilrock mould cleaner which is magic in a bottle! Cheapest in the Pound shop or The Range but supermarkets sell it too. Works brilliantly on algae too. Garden pots, patios, headstones etc.
                22-07-2017, 20:52 PM
              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                MrShed
                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                jjlandlord
                That's the exemption that allows sending data outside of the EEA, which is the issue discussed.

No, because of that very exemption....
                22-07-2017, 19:19 PM
              • Referencing question
                kangoo1
                A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
                I am going to prepare the ast...
                22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
              • Claiming for protected deposit
                mandm
                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                I served the...
                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                JK0
                I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
                22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                jpkeates
                That's simply one of the Schedule 2 exemptions which, if met, allows a process using personal data at all - all the other principles still apply in parallel (where it can be stored, be not excessive, kept up to date etc).

So, while it might be OK because it relates to a contract, there...
                22-07-2017, 15:22 PM
              • Excessive estate agent fees
                Cml241
                I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
              • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                mariner
                A new 12 month fixed term does provide LL & T with extra security but can lead to complications for either if their resp circumstances/legislation change during the new AST.
                Personally, I would prefer if a orig AST was for a fixed 6 month term, followed by an SPT that required both LL &...
                22-07-2017, 14:09 PM
              Working...
              X