Shared tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared tenancy

I moved into a new house share just over a month ago. I signed a 12 month joint contract (with 2 months notice if the contract is to end) with two existing tennants, as I replaced their housemate who wanted to leave. I was told that if any of us leaves, it's the responsibility of that person to find a replacement and pay for the new contract incorporating the new person.

I've found out very soon after moving in that one will be looking to move out as soon as she gets a new job which could be in the next few months, and the other will be looking to move out too. Not as soon as that, but before the 12 months are up. If that was the case, I'd rather find somewhere nicer?

Hypothetically, if one tennant decides to move on, and bring someone else in to replace her, requiring me to sign a new contract for 12 months, can I refuse? If I decide to leave, too, would I also need to find a new tennant to replace me?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Abandonment
    buttons
    I have had a phone call from the tenants daughter, (didnt know she existed), telling me he is leaving in two weeks. I told her he has nearly 4 months left on his 12 month AST. I subsequently got two calls from a housing association. asking for a reference for him, I told them the situation but they...
    20-09-2017, 19:56 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    KTC
    If the tenant holds a material interest of 6 months or more (i.e. during the 12 months AST), then the tenant is liable for council tax whether they are resident or not. During a SPT, the liability revert to the landlord when the tenant is no longer resident.
    20-09-2017, 21:33 PM
  • Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
    koksy
    I own a freehold house which has had the front garden paved over to provide off road parking. There is a dropped kerb in front of the garden and double yellow lines all the way across the front of the house.

The local neighbours are choosing to ignore the double yellow lines and keep parking...
    20-09-2017, 18:22 PM
  • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
    leaseholder64
    The police really do not like dealing with this sort of thing, and you are unlikely to get a response, even though they could prosecute for obstructive parking. This is especially true given the double yellow lines, as they would prefer the council impose a civil penalty.

Although it will...
    20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
  • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
    security2
    If someone blocked the public footway outside the front gate to the property so your tenant couldn't walk into the property, would he call you to get this rectified? Or would he call the police/council?

No different if its a car on the public highway or any other blockage on the public...
    20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    Wannadonnadoodah
    May only be tenants who have housing benefit paid then.
    20-09-2017, 21:17 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    buttons
    This I believe is incorrect, I do have experience of that part happening before and sent the council a copy of the AST and they cancelled my charge....
    20-09-2017, 21:14 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    Wannadonnadoodah
    In the eyes of the council as soon as he starts paying CT at his new property the liability will fall to you regardless of what else is happening.
    20-09-2017, 21:02 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    buttons
    I thought you could have it so that property was marketed but he still had liability as he wont be able to pay anything as he is unemployed and would reduce his liability to council tax if let before the end of his tenancy.
    20-09-2017, 20:48 PM
  • Reply to Abandonment
    KTC
    Either you recover the property, or the tenant is still the tenant with liability for rent & council tax (during fixed term of 6 months or more). You can't have it both ways of getting the property back but not liable for council tax.
    20-09-2017, 20:38 PM
Working...
X