prospective tenant: assume appliances etc work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prospective tenant: assume appliances etc work?

Hi there,

I am a prospective tenant. I have seen a property I quite like, but I didn't have time during the viewing to go around and check that everything was in good working order (appliances, shower etc). Would it be reasonable for me to say to the letting agent that my offer is on the understanding that any equipment/appliances provided with the property are in good working order or if not, will be repaired/replaced quickly after being notified of any problems?

I don't want to end up in a situation where, for example, I expect to have a properly functioning oven/shower/microwave but it turns out not to work - and the landlord/agent says, "tough - that's how it was when you viewed it and so you took on the tenancy knowing that was the condition of the property."

Thanks for your thoughts.

Originally posted by achan891 View Post
    Would it be reasonable for me to say to the letting agent that my offer is on the understanding that any equipment/appliances provided with the property are in good working order or if not, will be repaired/replaced quickly after being notified of any problems?
    Yes, but make sure that you get it in writing. Otherwise they will conveniently forget what they said after you have moved in.

Comment

Check the inventory too. It should state (though rarely does) that each item is operational at the time of handover. This would be evidence to the landlord that it subsequently failed during your tenancy and could be rechargeable. If it doesn't state that it's in working order, there would be no grounds to assume it is. You could then argue that you've been supplied a home unfit for purpose. We once rented a property where the downstairs loo didn't work when we moved in. The LA (Muppet of the Year 2008) proceeded to explain that it hadn't worked for years and most tenants just used the room as a storage cupboard, hence the number of shelves available!!
      Easier to get the LA to confirm in writing first.
      I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Originally posted by achan891 View Post
        I have seen a property I quite like, but I didn't have time during the viewing to go around and check that everything was in good working order (appliances, shower etc).
        Silly question time from me... second viewing?

You should probably still get what you suggest in writing, though...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X