Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foxes in the Garden

Hi All,

I've had some new tenants move in the last few weeks a family with two young children. The property has a nice garden which is why it probably appealed to the family.

Yesterday I had a call from the managing agent informing me that the tenants had complained about foxes in the garden scaring the two girls and constantly fouling on the grass/patio.

The problem seems to be that the neighbours are feeding the foxes up to twice daily.

I've looked online and the council won't help as they aren't classified as vermin and only give tips on how to not encourage them, one of them being don't feed them.

The agent is going to write a letter to the neighbours asking if they could stop but the previous tenants was a police man and had asked them politely and they said they had always fed them and would always continue to.

I'm concerned this issue may have cause me issues in the long run. People moving in due to the appeal of the garden and then getting put off that it's the foxes toilet.

Just before the tenants had moved in I had tried using a ultrasonic repellant and scoot but obviously that hasn't worked.

Reading online I came across this article: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...y-friends-foes

which in extreme cases people have hired pest controllers to cull the foxes.

Have people encountered any similar issues and if so how did you deal with it?

Rob

If the property is near a zoo, I hear that tiger poo is a good deterrent (though replacing fox's poo with a tiger's may not suit your tenants

I've also heard that human urine deployed at the boundary of the property, or the entry points, can help... (no, missus, you use a JUG!)

Originally posted by r0b View Post
    they said they had always fed them and would always continue to.
    [...]
    in extreme cases people have hired pest controllers to cull the foxes.
    So maybe the answer is to tell the fox-loving neighbours that unless they stop encouraging the foxes by feeding them, you'll have no choice but to cull them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
      If the property is near a zoo, I hear that tiger poo is a good deterrent (though replacing fox's poo with a tiger's may not suit your tenants

I've also heard that human urine deployed at the boundary of the property, or the entry points, can help... (no, missus, you use a JUG!)

So maybe the answer is to tell the fox-loving neighbours that unless they stop encouraging the foxes by feeding them, you'll have no choice but to cull them?
      Bit extreme- culling your neighbours.

Comment

Could you change their AST so it allows pets?
        Last edited by Joe; 06-01-2015, 09:08 AM.
        "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

I've looked online and the council won't help as they aren't classified as vermin and only give tips on how to not encourage them, one of them being don't feed them.
          I think that the council is a bit 'lazy' here.
          While foxes may not be 'vermin' I believe that the neighbours should still not do anything to cause nuisance, including health and safety ones. If they do I think either the council of the HSE may be the ones to go to for enforcement.

Perhaps worth a try to approach the council's Environmental Health Department on the ground of health and safety hazard, e.g. by mentioning the presence of children and large amounts of fox faeces and urine, which according to the following link are a potential risk (I'm quoting from the website):
          - fox faeces are a potential source of parasites such as roundworm or tapeworm: the parasite's eggs can be passed on through contact with faeces, which should never be handled with bare hands.
          - contact with fox urine carries a risk of picking up Weil's disease (Leptospirosis): again, good hygiene is necessary after contact with any surfaces on which foxes have urinated
          Also:
          - foxes are susceptible to the skin condition sarcoptic mange. ... . Humans can also be infected with mange but the condition does not take hold and any rash will soon disappear.

http://www.waverley.gov.uk/info/431/...isance_foxes/2

Comment

The problem seems to be that the neighbours are feeding the foxes up to twice daily.
            Initial question is - is that illegal in any way? I don't know the answer... but if it isn't illegal and the neighbours enjoy doing it, what's to stop them? They don't control what the foxes do after they feed them, where they go, where they defecate etc., so your Tenant's concerns could well be no concern of theirs. A bit of neighbourly consideration might be nice, but if the neighbours have been doing this for years without being stopped, they're hardly going to now. It might all come down to you - or your Tenants - do install some better higher stronger fencing or netting or other means of not allowing them to enter the property's garden.

If they're not classed as vermin, then it makes me feel it's like someone feeding birds... or hedgehogs... if your Tenants objected to birds in the same way, maybe a phobia?, I don't think they'd have much of a leg to stand on... and birds can fly over strong high fences... no cover! Culling the foxes seems a bit extreme... if you don't 'own' them and they're not classed as vermin (which does actually surprise me a little bit). Would a professional Fox Culler cost any less than a fence improvement? This is assuming you have a fence, of course.

Comment

I agree what they are doing by feeding the animals is not illegal and I wouldn't care if they were just doing their business in the neighbours garden, but obviously looks like I need to call in a professional fox trainer

There are fences but just at 1m high, you would need at least < 2.5m to stop foxes and that would have to be all around the garden which isn't allowed by the council, plus the cost would be in the many thousands.

As JJ has highlighted they carry a lot of diseases which can be passed on.

I don't want to make enemies of the neighbours as I would like to one day move into the property, but with a small child on the way myself I wouldn't want to as they would always have to be confined to the house.

Comment

Yeah... if it's not considered illegal then you are reliant on their reasonableness and, basically, someone is coming along asking them to stop doing something they like doing and - they think - isn't (or hasn't) caused anyone any harm. If someone came along to me and told me that I should stop drink shandy while sitting in the back garden in my under-crackers I'd be miffed (even if I wasn't defecating in another garden)... as I like it and it doesn't harm anyone. I would feel put upon, regardless of any sensible argument on the part of the person requesting it, I feel.

I would hope a smart solution would exist for you... but you said ultrasound did not. Frustrating.

Comment

Humans cause more problems than foxes ....

Had foxes at the bottom of our garden for 30 odd years +, never caused any problems in the neighbour hood ....

Local tom cat has fun chasing/playing with the foxes ....

As JJ has highlighted they carry a lot of diseases which can be passed on.
                  Yes, Some humans can carry a lot of diseases which can be passed on, so be carefully !
                  Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Even if it was humans shitting all over the patio it would be a problem

Comment

I wouldn't like to keep little foxes out of my garden; I don't know about the rest of you.

Comment

My ex is a wildlife vet. Culling foxes locally does not achieve much as foxes live short lives, breed quickly and spread out into available territories. Any space you create will be quickly filled. Those which don't get a territory usually die. That said - my ex also always said it was unwise to feed them as it makes them unnaturally comfortable around humans - which isn't good for either.

I have two fox dens in my garden. They can be a pain when they poo and chew through cables, and when they scent things left outside but how big a problem it is is really as much to do with the householder's mindset as with the foxes themselves.

They are no danger. Don't spend lots of time and money trying to sort it out. If your tenant has problems with them there will be plenty of people who don't mind a bit of wildlife.
                        Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brixtonia View Post
                          my ex also always said it was unwise to feed them as it makes them unnaturally comfortable around humans - which isn't good for either.
                          According to my son we had a hedgehog in our suburban garden this morning - first time I've heard of that in the 18 years we've lived here. Apparently it was taking catfood off his fingers (our labrador was unimpressed).

Just sayin'.

Comment

Urban foxes are a growing fact of life as housing expands.
                            They are inquisitve & normally solitary but their range is often determined by avail of food and presence of other foxes.
                            I occ see evidence of such nocturnal visitors but ensure my food waste bins are secure.

Comment

Mine pretty much sunbathe in the garden all day long (when it's sunny, anyway) and they are almost always in pairs. Not typically foxy at all!
                              Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X