Worried about past employment check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about past employment check

Hi, first post here, just wondering what sort of checks (if any) landlords or letting agencies make with past employers? I have signed the contract on a property, paid the deposit etc and am due to move in in a few weeks but I'm worried that should the letting agency speak to my former employers when dealing with my application forms, they will get a bad reference, as I became involved in a bit of a dispute with them over unpaid wages when I handed my notice in and from my time there they have a history of being horrendously unprofessional when it comes to references. All my other reference, credit checks etc. are positive. I'm probably worrying about nothing here but some reassurance would be good...

Thanks,

Ryan

Are you working now somewhere else?
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Due to start my new job in the next few weeks (so before I move in) and have provided proof and details of this. My partner is already in full-time employment.

Comment

If you have been honest with your landlord/agent I wouldn't expect problems.

However, if you make statement on your application and your ex-employer flatly contradicts this then you may have issues. If your ex-employer lies, then you may be able to sue?

Most reference employee reference checks are along the lines of "does this guy work here?" and "do you pay him enough to afford my rent". they rarely go much further than that.

Comment

As a LL I only check the present employer, I ask is the person employed with you and will be employed for the length of the tenancy.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, have been totally honest on the forms but the only details they have about my ex-work is a contact name and address, but it sounds like they might not even bother checking out the past employer as long as they can confirm I am now working in a different place?

Comment

Originally posted by muz View Post
              it sounds like they might not even bother checking out the past employer as long as they can confirm I am now working in a different place?
              It varies - there's no hard and fast rules - but quite likely not. What's exactly's your situation though; it sounds like you haven't started at the new employer; are you still working at the old one or are you between jobs? If you've actually left the old employer there's less likelihood they'll be contacted.

Comment

That's correct Eric, I am between jobs at the moment. I left my old one on 10th April and am due to start my new one at the end of May.

Comment

Therefore a prudent LL should confirm offer of perm employment, salary, start date with new employer and seek character ref from previous (last) employer.
                  Only OP knows what the employer may say.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X