Making a set of Key to for the landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a set of Key to for the landlord

My land lord calls me today and asks me to make her a spare set of key to the house because her one is broken. She says it is the law and she must own the key to the property. If we do not make her the set of key she will change the lock to the door.

Can anyone tell me is it really the law the Land Lord must own the key to the property? To be honest our relationship and not great and I won't trust her with the key. The Neighbourhood is not safe and the house had been broken into in 2003. Many thanks!

As far as I know you don't have to let her have a set of keys. She has no right to access the property, even writing in advance, unless there are emergency repairs that need to be carried out.

Comment

As a landlord, I would make the same request and if the tenant failed to comply, I would change the locks and give the tenant one set of keys. The reason is simply that there can be occasions when the LL must gain access, emergency repairs for example. While most of my tenants have been excellent, even the best seem reluctant to make time for essential maintenance, including the gas safety check, so having a set of keys enables me to comply with the law. (I've never had to use my set though, the tenants have always seemed to find the time when I have notified them that I will use my own keys if necessary to permit work to be done.)

Comment

RichieP - You have contradicted yourself - the LL does require access in the case of emergencies.
        I cannot see a reasonable objection to allowing the LL a set of keys to their own property.You can deal with unauthorised access using existing laws if necessary.As an LL I would not keep a tenant who refused access completely as I like to inspect the properties every few months (arising from an incident when a tenant stole the central heating boiler and floorboards in one of my properties).

Comment

Dont see the problem here, the LL needs a set for all the afore mentioned reasons, make a set and ask for the cost of the keys, plus a little for your time and travel.

Andy - How would an inspection help, I assume the tenant removed the floorboads and boiler when they were leaving, not a couple of months before, that would be crazy .... mind you, they do sound bonkers anyway.

Comment

dazalock - The tenant removed the heating (including radiators) and the floorboards whilst he was living at the property.I would have noticed this if I had inspected the property.The tenant had a drink problem.

Comment

I guess I did Andy, but landlords don't really have the right to enter properties to inspect them as far as I'm aware. It doesn't stop them including a clause in the tenancy to allow it or them doing it.

Comment

I fit a registered locks to all my properties, the locks are in a series so I always have a single 'master' key that opens any door to any property.

But that doesn't deal with changed locks, I should put a clause in the contract for that I quess.

Is this a case of unlocking the stable door after the horse has bolted?

Comment

RichieP - The LL has no right of entry without the tenant's consent except for emergencies eg fire,water leaks,gas leaks etc.As an LL I would not accept tenants who insisted on keeping the LL out of the property.

Comment

Surely the LL is only allowed reasonable access to assess repairs & carry out emergency work

If there is an AST I would have thought it was unlawful for the LL to enter without permission

The tenant has rented a home & the LL is invading their privacy if he can just walk in any time

With attitudes like you lot no wonder private sector LLs have such a bad image

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby.C
                      To be honest our relationship and not great and I won't trust her with the key.
                      But you expect her to trust you with her property, worth what, 100K? 200K or something?
                      Originally posted by Bobby.C
                      The Neighbourhood is not safe and the house had been broken into in 2003.
                      What's the relevance of that to whether the landlord has a key?

Comment

It's a legal contract Eric

The landlord chooses to let out the '100k' house for money

So they shouldn't have a right to enter the house at any time

Anything else can be covered the tenancy, the police & insurance

Comment

ngadef - IMO a regular inspection to check the condition of the property is not unreasonable.If consent for this is withheld I would wonder why and boot out the tenant just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by ngadef
                            Surely the LL is only allowed reasonable access to assess repairs & carry out emergency work

If there is an AST I would have thought it was unlawful for the LL to enter without permission

The tenant has rented a home & the LL is invading their privacy if he can just walk in any time

With attitudes like you lot no wonder private sector LLs have such a bad image
                            I think you got "Us Lot" mixed up with those who do what they want without consulting boards like this to see what is right and wrong. Surely a good tenant LL relationship is give and take. A good LL will want to check the property is well maintained and safe, he will contact the tenant to arrange a suitable time, a good tenant will accomodate this request in the knowledge that the LL takes an active interest in his/her welfare. A bad LL, as you said will either Walk in when he wants or completely ignore the property until the rent stops, a bad tenant will rip up floor boards and take away boilers and refuse the LL entry. Im sure none of Us lot are like any of these things.

Comment

Originally posted by ngadef
                              It's a legal contract Eric. The landlord chooses to let out the '100k' house for money. So they shouldn't have a right to enter the house at any time
                              Sure, I appreciate that. In the 4 years I've been a landlord I have never once entered a property without the tenant's permission; and I have always made it crystal clear to my tenants that I never would do so other than in a genuine emergemcy - which I think they respect and I am sure has helped make for very good relationships with my tenants, which is key to successful landlording. If within that framework, one of my tenants suddenly turned round and said they didn't want me to have a key, then I would not be a Happy Bunny, and as someone else has pointed out, I'd want to know why.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• What brand/price point for washer/dryer would you recommend?
                                clairol
                                As a landlord what approach do you take to replacing white goods in your rental properties?
                                Do you buy cheapest brands and then dispose of them when they go wrong as it is pricey to repair?
                                Or do you go for a better brand and hope for longevity?
                                My repair man recommends buying the...
                                22-07-2017, 08:48 AM
                              • Reply to What brand/price point for washer/dryer would you recommend?
                                jpkeates
                                Horses for courses.

I've never been able to get a fridge repaired, they only have one working system and when it breaks it's time for a new fridge, so I buy the cheapest one that fits with a name I've heard of.

Washing machines can be repaired, so I pay more for one that has...
                                22-07-2017, 10:27 AM
                              • Claiming for protected deposit
                                mandm
                                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                                I served the...
                                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                                jpkeates
                                That would be pointless.

The tenant would have to sue to get their own money back.
                                Apart from the waste of the court and tenant's time, there would be little or no compensation because the tenant would suffer no loss to compensate them for (loss of interest?).
                                The only people...
                                22-07-2017, 10:23 AM
                              • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                                scooter08
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                                England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                                AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                                12/04/2015
                                21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
                              • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                                Wright76
                                Your right that the penalty claim is the law and it's your right to claim it.

Unfortunately however you won't receive much sympathy on here,as most of us recognise that most of the breaches have been made by inexperienced landlords and not through any intention to rip you off.
                                22-07-2017, 10:18 AM
                                jpkeates
                                The legislation has been in place for a decade and has been revisited at least twice (and tweaked each time).
                                The deposit schemes have fairly clear guides about what needs to be done and how and when to do it.

Given the tenant(s) the Prescribed Information is part of the process of...
                                22-07-2017, 10:17 AM
                                JK0
                                It discourages landlords from taking a deposit at all, and instead making it up with higher rent. This discriminates against tenants staying for a long time.

I think that is what is happening to o/p.

It's all a lot of nonsense. Tenant could always sue if landlord...
                                22-07-2017, 10:12 AM
                              • Reply to What brand/price point for washer/dryer would you recommend?
                                Dinkum
                                I buy the cheapest machine I can source. It is usually a Hotpoint or Indesit. And they all come out of the same factory. Some of them last for years. I've just replaced a Hotpoint WD after 11 years with a new Indesit one. I try and avoid the ones with the digital display and too many fancy options as...
                                22-07-2017, 10:09 AM
                                mandm
                                What’s evident from responses in this thread that equal emphasis was given to deposit protected within time frame and T were informed in a prescribed manner, some going as far as getting the T to sign the acknowledgement!
                                I am really flabbergasted to read some of these emphasis, surely the point...
                                22-07-2017, 10:07 AM
                              Working...
                              X