Mediation - can I lose out if I don't agree to it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediation - can I lose out if I don't agree to it?

Hi. I'm in the middle of of County Court proceedings against my former landlord for non-return of my deposit.

He recently wrote and stated that he has contacted the Civil Mediation Council and that I had 7 days to respond to him (about what specifically he didn't say).

I have written back to say that I haven't been contacted by the Mediation Council, but equally nor have I rejected mediation at any stage. I did the latter because on their website it states:

'Courts encourage the use of mediation wherever appropriate and in certain cases can order some costs to be paid if a party has unreasonably refused to participate in mediation.'

Am I putting myself at risk by not engaging in this further? To be honest I would rather just go through the County Court as I believe I have an excellent case. Mediating to me suggests that I'll have to make financial concessions to the landlord and I don't believe I should.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Much obliged....

Is there not also a cost for mediation? £250 rings a bell. I think you have done the right thing so far.
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

By going through mediation he is trying to slow the process down!!!
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

I think it said on their website that it costs £50 an hour. Presumably the cost would have to be divided between us. It's an expensive way just for me to ask him to pay up!

I suspected it might be a stalling tactic. There wasn't any info in his letter as to what my next steps should be - just 'I have contacted the Civil Mediation Council. You have 7 days to reply'.

I'm scratching my head here. Anyway, he has my reply stating I haven't rejected mediation, so we'll see what develops...

Thanks folks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
          Pickle135
          Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
          08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
        • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
          Pickle135
          Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
          21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
        • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
          scooter08
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
          England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
          AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
          12/04/2015
          21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
        • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
          scooter08
          Thanks for the reply jp....
          21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
          jpkeates
          Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
          21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
          scooter08
          I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
          21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
          scooter08
          I pay the council tax, yes it is mortgaged. As far as I know he isn't pretending to live him and his family live in another house a few streets away....
          21-07-2017, 18:01 PM
        • HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
          bald555
          Long story short, someone I know (not close) needed money, I gave him 12 months reduced rent upfront to help him out and put a commercial lease on his HMo with right to sublet etc (my tenants).

Few months in and his money problems are worse and the bank (and others) pressuring him to sell...
          21-07-2017, 16:58 PM
        • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
          bald555
          and yes, there is a mortgage...
          21-07-2017, 17:44 PM
          jpkeates
          Harassment is way more than a breach of quiet enjoyment, there has to be a level of distress in the harassed person.

A retrospective claim for breach of quiet enjoyment is probably a non-starter - breach of quiet enjoyment is part of the kitchen sink people throw when they're claiming compensation...
          21-07-2017, 17:43 PM
        Working...
        X