On going repairs - when is it too much? Please help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow up? Really? Get down off your high horse! You have picked through my posts like some kind of spiteful vulture making pathetic assumptions all the way. AFTER we had moved in the LA even mentioned something the LL had told her about the neighbours pinching water from the tap outside, so yes he does know what the neighbours are like. I have said it was unfortunate that the neighbours weren't in their usual doorstep positions on the occasions we viewed. I cannot see the relevance of you continuing to bring things up that are not the issue.

I mentioned the car for a laugh as someone used car problems as an example!!!! Goodness me as if you are using that against me too. Really, is this how you get your Sunday afternoon kicks?
    You have either totally misunderstood me or you are just a very spiteful person.

Comment

He's not being spiteful he's trying to deliver answers to someone who doesn't like the answers that are given. You've arrived here, asked for advice and then been given it. Unfortunately the answers aren't as you expected/hoped and it seems this has riled you somewhat. Asking the same question on 5 occasions or coming at it from a different angle isn't going to give you the answers that you are after.
      "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Walton View Post
        You have either totally misunderstood me or you are just a very spiteful person.
        Sorry Walton, people have now repeatedly given you the advice you asked for - being realistic with it - you just don't seem willing to accept that you can't use this list of 'issues' you have as a valid means of ending your tenancy early without penalty.

Maybe I have misunderstood - but at first it was the boiler only, then it's more things, like you say, you [now] feel you are paying too much, you don't like the neighbourhood / neighbours. That's what I meant when I said it's either one issue or loads and it clearly comes across as you're looking for any silver bullet - or a nice long list - to get yourself out of a situation you put yourself in. Basically, you're fishing for reasons. If the house was uninhabitable then it's a different ball game - but it isn't uninhabitable... it has a dodgy boiler which the Landlord is trying to fix and it's now in a location you've decided you don't like.

The simple fact is that you asked for advice and you don't like the - correct - advice that you're getting. There's no point continuing to poke it, it won't change. I admit that I might have been a little harsh in some things I have written, for that I apologise, but you are very tiresome (although you are funny as well).

Comment

Ok, never mind. Every negative point I made about the house was first explained in my opening post, I haven't added to the list. You people have picked apart the points that were of little importance & ignored my question. Throughout the thread I have tried to get you to see things from our perspective & let you know various details about my to try to explain that I'm not an unreasonable person - you've also picked apart those points & used them against me too.

This may all seem funny to you, but it's not for me & my family. This thread has genuinely upset me, not that none of your agree with me, it's been the condescending, patronising & spiteful replies that have upset me - why 'speak' to someone who is genuinely asking advice like that. I have stated that I will write to the LL & explain that we're happy for repairs to continue through May. But still you say I haven't taken anyone's advice & pick apart my other comments, please don't judge me by your own standards. I explained the problems, if you chose to pull apart my response to find fault with me, I think that says more about you than me.

Comment

OK, well let's try to end it here... I did not mean to say the situation is funny - I hope I have explained I can easily see how it would be frustrating for you, I was saying you were funny, by asking the same question in so many different ways and not liking any of the answers, and then demonstrating that you have some kind of persecution complex.

It is good that you will give the Landlord until the end of May (when his warranties run out) to remedy the situation - you might be a lot happier if that is a success. If not, then I think you need to play hardball... in either negotiating an early end or some form of compensation that you would be happy with. I would just remain aware that having a boiler that repeatedly breaks and is repeatedly repaired by the Landlord isn't grounds for ending your tenancy early - all the other stuff, with respect, is just added noise... you can't end a tenancy early 'cos of the price you agreed, you can't end a tenancy early 'cos the neighbours are chavs, you can't end a tenancy early because people are stealing water from your outside tap, you can't end a tenancy early for some cosmetic defects you don't care about.

My last piece of - genuine - advice... if it's just actually the fact that you want to end the tenancy early (regardless of whatever the reason(s) might be) have you considered reaching an accommodation with your Landlord, instead of collating a list of reasons as to why you can't suffer it any more? I mean, the Landlord may be interested if you offered him an incentive to end the tenancy early, and he could try and get someone else in. That way it comes across as a positive rather than a load of negatives. Landlords, cold heartless bastards that they are, can still get quite upset, and protective, if someone criticises their property, especially if they used to live in it. Maybe that would be a good quid pro quo?

Comment

Are you serious? A persecution complex? You sound like my narcissistic mother.

I do not have a list of problems. You have taken it upon yourself ton compile a list. The cost of the house isn't an issue in the way you are interpreting, when we move we will be paying the same if not more for a property, I do not want compensation. I want to live in a house that has hot water when required & does not involve me making numerous calls & appointments to get things fixed. Why is that so hard to comprehend?! As I said that says more about you than me!

I mentioned the neighbours & the price purely because I also mentioned that we had told the LA that we'd be moving once our tenancy was up - I was explaining why we were moving. Clearly I'm too honest for my own good. We have told the LA the reason why we will be leaving at 12 months, the LA are VERY nice, even came up the road & had a look & agreed with us, and had a laugh & a joke about it!! We are honest people and have been nothing but upfront with everyone.

You really have interpreted my words very incorrectly.

Comment

The basic question is, we want to leave, we want to terminate out contact due to the on going problems with this house that are impacting our lives, taking up our valuable time & are now also costing us money. Are we within our rights?
                No.

There you go Walton. All done.

Comment

Thank you!

Why couldn't someone have just said that to begin with instead of criticising me & belittling my issues.

Thanks!

Comment

Well you have to belittle an issue when the issue is a tenant says that "the rents too high" "the landlord is ripping me off" "the house isn't worth the rent" etc, it's not like you were blind to the fact of how much the rent was before you took a 12 month tenancy.
                    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Why couldn't someone have just said that to begin with instead of criticising me & belittling my issues.
                      Sometimes people really do hate a cursory response, thinking that the responder hasn't given it enough thought, or hasn't read into the background situation enough and hasn't justified their response - sometimes the people asking want more. Maybe you'd provided a bit too much background info. at the start of the thread which some of us thought was relevant to the overall situation, but it wasn't.

Genuinely - I'm sure we hope you get what you want, we don't like Landlords looking bad and we definitely don't like bad Landlords, we possibly just felt that your Landlord was actually doing [almost] all they could from what you'd described. We hear much worse about Landlords who, basically, do not give a stuff at all.

Comment

I want to live in a house that has hot water when required & does not involve me making numerous calls & appointments to get things fixed. Why is that so hard to comprehend?.
                        It's not hard to comprehend but in the millions of homes in the country the heating doesn't work as it should all of the time. You want the problem fixed but you don't want to afford the time to have it fixed. It seems like catch 22 with the only one suffering is yourself.

Comment

How about you read all of my responses properly before jumping on the bandwagon making assumptions. What you have said in the past 2 comments is complete rubbish.

Honestly, this thread alone gives landlords a bad name.

Comment

Is this predominantly a site for landlords? The site seems to bias towards the landlord, perhaps I'm wasting my time here.....
                            It is, but I am not a Landlord.

Lets start with the point in your favour:

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
                            You have a legally binding contract until December 2014. You can leave the property at any time you want to, but you will have to pay the rent until the end of your contract.

You will need to get the landlords consent to terminate your contract early, and he can stipulate any conditions and costs that he likes. If you don't like these conditions you will have to carry on paying the rent.
                            This, and other statements to the same effect by many others in this thread, is absolutely false.

A LL can not insist that YOU pay rent until the end of the fixed term. OFT would call this an 'unfair penalty,' You have the right to assign or sublet your tenancy IF you can find someone willing. Effectively, if you find someone to take your place you can move out. LL cant refuse consent to a new tenant unreasonably.

The problem you have is you seem to have indicated that the Agent has already offered this (£200 reletting fee was mentioned?). But you dont feel this is fair?

So the best advice seems to be, try to use the fact that things have to be done in May as leverage (as suggested) and if that fails, find a replacement tenant and move on.

None of you are taking the point of EXTREME INCONVENIENCE into account here.
                            Id agree with you if it was extreme, and I have to think a legal argument could be made to do likewise, but on no reasonable viewing can '6 appointments in 3 months' be viewed as 'extreme.'

Your other points have been correctly stated by others as being legally irrelevant. It does not matter that you are being ripped off by the rent price; you viewed it 3 times and thus that burden falls on yourself. I understand you are now annoyed, but that annoyance should be directed at yourself for making what has turned out to be a bad deal. The neighbours are not a party to your agreement between LL and T.

You should probably take a break from this thread and come back and read Hippogriff and wannadonnadoodah's posts tomorrow with a clear head. Their advice provided has been very reasonable.

Comment

Hippogriff,

I completely see that now, thank you :-) Would have been nice if people believed me the first (or perhaps second time, third time ......) I tried to explain myself though. You live & learn.

Comment

I think this thread had run its course several posts ago, I can’t see any positive value in letting it remain open.
                                I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X