deposit scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deposit scheme

Can Anyone Please Help Me on this . I took on a tenant 6 months ago on a 6 month tenancy agreement . I did not put deposit in a protection scheme. the tenant gave up work after 3 months and applied for housing benefit. I have now been waiting 3 months. I have now found out I cannot use a section 21 because of deposit. she now owes me £2555 and the tenancy has ran out what can I do

Give her the deposit back then reissue a s21 and go through that whole process. Or if shes 2 or more months behind then issue a s8 notice. Im not sure which would be better, it depends on a lot of factors. s8 can be defended by disrepair and by paying up I believe, but it is a quicker form of eviction than s21 I think.

Be aware that although she has rent arrears she has a claim against you for 1-3x the deposit amount for failing to protect the deposit.

Comment

thanks but can I maybe give her a new tenancy agreement the put deposit in scheme to start again and then issue a s21

Comment

No, she would still have a claim for non-protection for first AST deposit, for 6yrs after 1st deposit protection deadline.
        If T has an AST/SPT, she cannot be forced to sign a new AST.

Comment

Originally posted by graham s View Post
          thanks but can I maybe give her a new tenancy agreement the put deposit in scheme to start again and then issue a s21
          Yes, you can do that (if she agrees, obviously) in order to be able to serve a valid s.21 notice.
          However, as mariner says, there's nothing you can do tenancy-wise about your existing liability for non-protection.

Comment

Ask her if she will agree to use her deposit for some of the rent outstanding.

Why isn't she getting housing benefit?
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

hi thanks. my t has applied for housing benefit from 12th of feb but she waiting on income support prof which she is saying they did the wrong forms and applied for jsa but she has two childern and is pregnant but there always seems to be something going wrong or that's what she is telling me. ist she filled in the wrong housing ben forms and now she says income support taking time. I just think something is not right and I need to get her out but I didn't but deposit in scheme

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Labour taxation plans
                by theartfullodger
                May I quote the Telegraph. on Sunak's kind gift of the highest tax burden for quite some time....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tax-burden-70/
                22-01-2022, 18:10 PM
              • Labour taxation plans
                by steaming
                Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
                20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
                by SouthernDave
                The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
                22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
                by SouthernDave
                Agreed. Peoples care should not be down to those who work hard, to take from their labours. The levy is a joke and im disappointed in the conservatives for doing it.
                22-01-2022, 17:52 PM
              • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                by SouthernDave
                I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
                22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
              • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                by AVJ113
                Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
              • Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                by AndrewDod
                I think you need to ask whether he/she is responsible for the things you say, and whether these warrant immediate attention as you think they do:

a) leaking shower - what do you mean exactly. Leak from where, when...
                b) broken burglar alarm - what is broken? What does your contract...
                22-01-2022, 16:59 PM
              • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                by Lucylou99
                Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
                21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
              • Reply to Occupational rent to an executor.
                by Lawcruncher
                It is in the nature of co-ownership that each owner owns the whole and each is therefore entitled to occupy the whole. The sister's right.therefore is not to receive rent but to occupy the property as well. If the sister does not want to share occupation but wants some benefit then, keeping things simple,...
                22-01-2022, 16:08 PM
              • Occupational rent to an executor.
                by Yoda 111
                I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
                20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
              Working...
              X