Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant not cancelled standing order?

Hi,

My tenant left in January. He is still sending the rent on the 6th of every month for £925. I have tried calling, texted him and sent several emails, all of which have received no response!

What should I do? I am thinking I will have to close the account down to stop receiving funds and then move the monies received to my personal account?

How long do I have to keep the funds for? Can I give the money to charity? I don't want to hold it long term and the tenants lack of contact is a real problem. It's really racking up to thousands now.

Also he hasn't reclaimed his deposit from the DPS (less minor charges).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Do not be so ridiculous as to give the money away to charity.

Under what circumstances did the tenant leave your property?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

He left of his own accord - gave proper notice etc and flat left clean and tidy. He did split from his partner but she has also absconded. With regard to charity I meant after say 12 months?

Comment

You should hold the money because you owe it to your ex-tenant. I think he has 6 years to claim each payment from the day you received it.
        Make all you can to contact him, and in the meantime stick the cash in a saving account.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonandy View Post
          With regard to charity I meant after say 12 months?
          I am unaware of some law that states the money is yours to do with what you want after 12 months?

I would sort out another account, as you suggested, which will stop the money coming through.
          I would then keep the money to one side for when/if the tenant contacts you for the return of his money.

No drama.

He did split from his partner but she has also absconded.
          Strange terminology to use for a partner of a tenant that ended their tenancy correctly.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

With regard to charity I meant after say 12 months?
            And when the ex-tenant comes to you after 12 months to claim his money ?

Yes, you have to give it back to him, even if you gave it to charity ( which is a stupid idea when it's not your money )

Comment

Is it a bad mood Tuesday here? Using words like "ridiculous" and "stupid" in response to a genuine query is not very appropriate. "That is not a good idea at all." and "No, you shouldn't do this." can work just as well.

Comment

Have you spoken to your bank? Can they not just bounce it straight back to where it came from?
                "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippogriff View Post
                  Is it a bad mood Tuesday here? Using words like "ridiculous" and "stupid" in response to a genuine query is not very appropriate. "That is not a good idea at all." and "No, you shouldn't do this." can work just as well.
                  You are right, we all must "Calm down"

But sometimes, a "That is not a good idea at all." and "No, you shouldn't do this." does not reach home.

But as you said, maybe some of us can be more gental. We will try, but no promises if "silly" ideas pop up again.

Comment

Just closing the rent account could result in furure rent going astray in the banking system. Ask your Bank for advice before doing it.

Comment

My tenant left in January. He is still sending the rent on the 6th of every month for £925. I have tried calling, texted him and sent several emails, all of which have received no response!
                      I would simply move the monies into a separate interest bearing account each month and leave them there. You have done all you can to advise the tenant, if they still send you money I would put it into that account and make sure to keep it there. Who knows, maybe they never claim for it and then it eventually will become yours (but I think you would have to wait 6 years).

In either case, you would be able to claim for your costs in managing those monies, so I don't think you will lose out at all. Just remember to not start treating it as your own monies

Comment

Your bank must know where the money came from. They ought to be able to return it and any future payments.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
                          by DoricPixie
                          I don’t think you’ll get the property back by October either. The tenant is angling for social housing and the council will advise her to hand in until bailiffs physically removed her from the property. Insurance companies and solicitors can’t make the process go any faster. A solicitor might...
                          14-08-2022, 22:51 PM
                        • Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
                          by lordluvus
                          The girl works in HM service with good ref and actually always paid her half, her dopey partner, was newly self employed and has a guarantor. (family member). Tenant got pregnant but has always paid her half, if sometimes late. Now they have a 1 yr old baby boy. This month she has paid 60% but the rest...
                          14-08-2022, 19:36 PM
                        • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                          by DoricPixie
                          Properly insulated properties also help to keep the air cool inside during summer. Much in the same way a Thermos flask can keep its contents either hot or cold.

If you had a well insulated home then you wouldn’t need larger radiators to use with heat pumps. Once you reached the desired...
                          14-08-2022, 22:44 PM
                        • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                          by Hudson01
                          Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
                          13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
                        • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
                          by ash72
                          I really can't see the new PM (who ever that is) is going to reach into their pockets to then give out more money, If they do I think it's going to be like the winter payment, only selected people will be eligible, and guess what LL's will not be one of them.

What other countries are doing...
                          14-08-2022, 21:21 PM
                        • Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
                          by patray
                          I am trying to work out the best way to recoup some of the increase in the cost of the gas given that we can only put up the rent once a year but the cost is going to be increased in October and probably every 3 months.

It's not possible to forsee how much prices will rise or what help...
                          14-08-2022, 14:03 PM
                        • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
                          by Hudson01
                          I think the govt will step in of sorts but they cannot cover the increase in the rates for the whole population and industry !! Not a chance, i agree we do not know how much, but we have a really good idea that it will be massive. If you do not work this out correctly you will be taking a lot more than...
                          14-08-2022, 21:11 PM
                          by Hudson01
                          I doubt very much you will get the house back by October, the tenant has been told the usual by the local authority and will put up a fight, so do not count on your plans going....... to plan. In terms of the guarantor, its in the lap of the gods, if all tickity boo, then great but any flaws at all...
                          14-08-2022, 21:02 PM
                          by NaomiB
                          The S21 required my tenant to leave by 18 April but she didn't so then had to apply to the court for an accelerated possession order. She filed no defence so I could apply for the possession order which I received at the end of July for her to leave 10 August. She hasn't so I have applied for the...
                          14-08-2022, 20:54 PM
                        • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                          by JK0
                          One of my London HMO tenant's lodgers was kicked out by my tenant recently. She complained to me, so I suggested she move to Reading and could have one of my flats to herself for a similar payment. Not interested.
                          14-08-2022, 20:42 PM
                        Working...
                        X