Damp Problems - Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damp Problems - Help!

I have a tenant who is a serial moaner (don't we all!)

His latest thing is to moan about little patches of damp forming on one of his bathroom walls and is threatening to withhold rent. It's a ground floor bathroom with a functional Damp Injection, and what's more the damp wipes off with a cloth and clearly is from within the property, and not from rising damp. There is also a functioning fan in the bathroom. The wall is a north facing wall and is the coldest of the walls in the property, but it is double brick with a cavity, and he has gch & upvc to keep the place warm.

Do my Section 11 obligations cover this? as frankly i'm not sure what to do about it! I even get little patches of damp around the windows in my bathroom, which I wipe off regularly and think no more of it.

Anyone had any similar experiences or offer any advice?

Section 11 of LTA 1985 covers keeping in repair "the structure and exterior of the dwellinghouse (including drains, gutters, and external pipes)", but a bit of damp is not otherwise your responsibility.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Two things to do:
      1) Tell your tenant that the damp is due to poor ventillation and he needs to keep windows open more. Don't forget that even in well ventillated house in the winter, a single glazed window will deposit loads of water on the inside windowsil overnight - mopping same up is normal practice.

2) Issue a section 21 notice NOW to get rid of such a tenant as soon as possible!

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Thanks for the good advice :-)

Comment

Damp

From what you have described this is almost certainly condensation - read this article:
          http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/pdf/Mould.pdf

Comment

Excellent article - thanks

Comment

ed - Many thanks for the article. Very appropriate timing for me as well.
              ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X