Replacing a back boiler..

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Replacing a back boiler..

    Hey All,

    Looking at purchasing a 3 bed end terrace with an old style back boiler heating system.

    Question is do I need to replace the old system with a new style condensing/combi boiler system to pass the gas safety check? Or can I leave it as is?

    I've tried Gritish Bas but they are no help (muppets!)

  • #2
    I have a back boiler in one of our properties and it has always passed the safety certificate (whilst a condensing boiler we have keeps getting mutters that it could do with replacing-not for safety but for reliability).


    • #3
      The boiler and the Flue/liner must be compliant. Many property still have Back boiler that are serviced by BG and other Corgi engineers. BG always try and tell you it need changing as the spares are difficult to get. They are form there BG Spares department but everyone else stocks them. Regards Peter


      • #4
        was just about to post and saw Petes post and agree. some of our clients have a BB and BG are always saying "oh you need to get this replaced as we only hold 14 parts and 10 of these are screws" but if you shop around you can get spares.

        as long as it been checked by a Corgi engineer and a pass certificate is issued it should be fine.


        Latest Activity


        • Tenant's energy debt.
          I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
          20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
        • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
          AFAIK LCS are just collection Agents for B Gas, not Bailiffs. They have to get B Gas approval for further action.
          Did you/wife receive/request actual B Gas itemised Bill for disputed period?
          Talk to B Gas Debt team.
          You may have to provide evidence of identifiable start/end meter readings
          27-07-2017, 03:48 AM
        • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

          Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

          Q3 – What date did current...
          26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
        • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          IOLO brownie points for providing required info upfront.
          As LL, I normally pay for move in report and T for move out report.
          Joint Ts are equally liable for 1 report.
          2 ways seem avail to you-
          1. Complete a move out condition report in first week of Aug and claim for any T damage...
          26-07-2017, 23:23 PM
        • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
          Dear wright76, I don't have a mental condition, but a learning disability I suffer with Dyslexia and have been psychologically tested and diagnosed with the Dyslexia condition. It seems that everything I've said or tried to do so far here is all negative and I'm doing everything wrong apart from sending...
          26-07-2017, 23:01 PM
        • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
          26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
        • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          Quite. Explain how you managed to get this tenant in the first place - and via some shady outfit as well. Seems as if all eyes were off all balls....
          26-07-2017, 22:56 PM
        • S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
          26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
        • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          That ....
          26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
        • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
          Hi All,

          I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

          I already...
          20-07-2017, 10:07 AM