If you're not taking deposits, what are you doing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're not taking deposits, what are you doing?

Hi All,

I have seen some posters saying that they have stopped taking deposits as a result of the DPS. I too am toying with this idea, but I would like to know how LL's intend to have some security for the contents. My properties are fully furnished so this is more of an issue for me but if you don't take deposits, what do you do?

Regards

Jai

Intensive background checks. Copies of passports and drivers licenses, at a minimum. Will certainly verify that any letters of recommendation and referencing comes from whom it says it is from.
    ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Yeah, I do that anyway as my standard procedure. So do you just not take deposits and charge the tenant for any damage, clean up costs etc. What if they dont pay?

Comment

Remember that the DPS nonsense covers only AST lettings. On all others, deposit procedures are unaffected.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

There's nothing to lose by taking a deposit and lodging it in the custodial scheme. I've just done my first one. I don't like this DPS thing, but it seems better that the tenant at least knows they are POTENTIALLY out of pocket if there are any chargeable problems, as opposed to taking nothing and them having nothing to worry about? I'm not looking forward to my first battle with the DPS/tenants though!

Comment

Originally posted by jghomer View Post
            There's nothing to lose by taking a deposit and lodging it in the custodial scheme. I've just done my first one. I don't like this DPS thing, but it seems better that the tenant at least knows they are POTENTIALLY out of pocket if there are any chargeable problems, as opposed to taking nothing and them having nothing to worry about? I'm not looking forward to my first battle with the DPS/tenants though!

Good post. Just wondering aloud: If the potential damage is more than the deposit and you make sure that your request for reimbursement is more than the deposit, will this insure that you can still go to court, no matter what the DPS decision? Over to you Jeffrey>
            ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by jghomer View Post
              That's my view of things too-even if there were little prospect of getting my hands on deposit, the tenant can't be absolutely sure of that! Also, I am not looking forward to the hassle involved if the tenant cannot be contacted-making witnessed statutory declaration or whatever it is....

Originally posted by Paragon View Post
              Good post. Just wondering aloud: If the potential damage is more than the deposit and you make sure that your request for reimbursement is more than the deposit, will this insure that you can still go to court, no matter what the DPS decision? Over to you Jeffrey>
              The DPS states that the ADR cannot be used if the amount in dispute is more than the deposit. Also, remember that you can opt to go to court instead of using the ADR anyway. (I am thinking that this may be a bargaining tool to persuade an agreement from tenants who otherwise might have nothing to lose from going to ADR for the hell of it. "Well Mr x, if you really want to dispute the damage you have done, I might as well take you to court and apply for costs as well. How do you like them apples?"

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                mandm
                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                I served the...
                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                MrShed
                JK - there are *some* upsides of taking a deposit. The main two for me:
                1) Regardless of what it can feel like on here, the majority of tenants do not know they can play the system in this way.
                2) There is something to be said for the mindset of a tenant who has something "invested"...
                21-07-2017, 08:19 AM
              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                MrShed
                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                jpkeates
                The ICO should be fining landlords for not registering as data processors - they're not.

The maximum amount of personal data held by landlords and agents arises out of tenant referencing, and, if that were to be destroyed after a couple of months, most landlords would arguably be pretty...
                21-07-2017, 08:16 AM
                JK0
                I'm afraid this rant won't help you much o/p, but:

STILL!? Still landlords are giving tenants a way to wheedle thousands out of them for no good reason?

I have come to the conclusion this whole deposit protection nonsense is a government sponsored scam. There is barely any...
                21-07-2017, 08:12 AM
                jpkeates
                They are probably claiming that you didn't protect the deposit and give them the Prescribed Information document, both of which you are required to do within 30 days of receipt of the deposit.

If you didn't do both things to the appropriate deadline, you didn't protect the deposit correctly....
                21-07-2017, 08:09 AM
              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                jjlandlord
                Source: http://news.pwc.ch/31824/gdpr-key-ch...-eu-companies/

That being said, I don't think it will have much impact on landlords:

I don't think that'll be the case. References are legitimate and widespread.

21-07-2017, 07:51 AM
              • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
                Hayleydenice93
                Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
                20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
              • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
                theartfullodger
                You do not have to own a place to be the Landlord. Suspect they rent from owner (their Landlord), they then rent (as your Landlord) to you.

Doubt there's any chance of getting proper tenancy from them. You could sign licence, move in, then try and get rights as an AST Tenant (eg sue for...
                21-07-2017, 07:46 AM
              • Claiming for Non protected deposit
                charliesugar
                This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
                She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
                27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
              Working...
              X