Serving notice-help with dates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serving notice-help with dates

We have decided to serve our tenant with notice as frankly we have had enough of being landlords and just want to sell the property. I asked in a previous posting what grounds I could use and someone kindly gave me the answer that as I want the property back (to sell), I don't need to cite any particular grounds, just serve a section 21.

We need then to serve a Section 21 but I am anxious to get the dates correct. The tenancy commenced on the 2nd of November 2005, with the rent payable on the 2nd of every month thereafter for the period of six months (the AST). At the end of the six months, the tenancy then became a periodic tenancy. What date should I put as the final date to quit?

Sorry for being stupid but this area always seems a bit woolly in my head!

1. Fixed term expired on 1 May 2006.
    2. Every successive period of tenancy begins on 2nd day of each month.
    3. So a s.21 Notice served between now and 1 June has to give two clear months AND to end at a tenancy month end- ie Notice would show 1 August as date on (or before) which T has to go. You could then start possession proceedings next day: 2 August.
    Last edited by jeffrey; 07-05-2007, 19:50 PM.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Also after the expiry date put "or the last day of a period of the tenancy next occurring" to cover yourself

Comment

Many thanks for the advice, We are going to serve her with the Section 21 on Tuesday, though she doesn't know it yet.

Jeffrey, thanks for the date info. It makes sense to me now so will follow the 2 months plus as you advised.

settloe-99, I will put the statement as you advised though I have to admit I don't fully understand what it means? Can you clarify please? Thank you.

One more question-We want get rid of the property asap. We want to avoid the HIPS farce but also the sooner the property is marketed, the quicker we can get shot of it. We want to sign with an agent before the end of the month (to avoid HIPS) and one agent has provisionally agreed. I presume the tenant cannot refuse the agent viewings? I realise we cannot sign for 'vacant possession' at the moment but we can sign for everything else surely? Any advice would be most welcome.

Comment

If you advertise "for sale" a tenanted property, the dreaded HIPS stuff will NOT apply.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Termination of Tenancy
            janeygee
            Hi,
            looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
            I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
            15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
          • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
            DPT57
            As JPK says, let them leave before pressing some of the these issues. If you haven't served a proper s21 notice then they could make your life very difficult and make you wait before giving up possession....
            16-01-2018, 19:14 PM
          • Periodic S21
            royesjaffia
            Good Day All,
            I am a new landlord and as such decided to not undertake the task of all the nuances of letting so I hired a letting agency.

Things went smoothly until I wanted the tenant to leave. The date the tenant was to leave was the 13th of January. To date, he still has not left...
            15-01-2018, 15:14 PM
          • Reply to Periodic S21
            DPT57
            Serve notice yourself and then assuming you instructed the Agent to serve notice on the tenant and they failed to do so, cancel the contract with them and report their incompetence to whichever redress scheme they are part of....
            16-01-2018, 18:57 PM
          • Take agent or inventory company to court?
            Spencerjdb
            Summary:
            Who is responsible for keys if they break 3hrs into tenancy by bending (poor metal) and later proven the 2nd copy of key I had was stiff (and lock has a "knack" and a "fraction") and was later given agency copy of keys which were better than my "stiff keys".
            16-01-2018, 17:05 PM
          • Reply to Take agent or inventory company to court?
            Wannadonnadoodah
            So with the 2 hour clean you'll be taking court action over a dirty side of a bed and a key? Last time I had a key cut it was less than a fiver and it sounds like a 3 minute cleaning job to do down the side of the bed. It really does feel like a massive over reaction. Taking this into consideration...
            16-01-2018, 18:40 PM
          • Notice period when subletting
            peacelily
            A bit of background to explain the situation- I am currently subletting a room from a tenant of a flat who is renting from a landlord.

I have now given my notice to move out.

Our original agreement (only by email, nothing signed or in writing) stated that the tenant would...
            16-01-2018, 18:10 PM
            Spencerjdb
            I want to take court action if I have to pay for a cleaner, because those responsible for the property will not.
            I want to take court action as the agency I'm sure will take it from my deposit if I do not pay for a 2nd key to be cut.

I'm not a slave, nor a cleaner, nor do I have any...
            16-01-2018, 17:49 PM
            Spencerjdb
            Inventory was done Friday and given to me today and I have raised the points (sorry, this is further down in my lengthy post). The agent said that they've gotten inventory company to pay for a 2hr clean tomorrow but that they won't be cleaning down side of bed unless I travel up there and move the bed......
            16-01-2018, 17:47 PM
            leaseholder64
            You are responsible for the cleaning, as you should have checked the inventory when it was made. It will now be very difficult to prove that it was wrong.

I find it very difficult to believe there is a market in such obviously sub-standard key blanks, but I would guess the person who commissioned...
            16-01-2018, 17:42 PM
          Working...
          X