Can T surrender AST during fixed term?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can T surrender AST during fixed term?

I currently rent a flat but only in the 3rd month out of a 12 month let. within the next couple of months I may need a bigger place, this was unforeseen at the start of the tenancy. Ive spoken to the letting agent and they have said that I would have to pay a percentage of the re-letting fee, which is also in the contract and no problem, however, they also said I would be liable for any rent due upto the day new tenants moved in.
    Is this correct? Even with two months notice. If so any advice of how to resolve this without having to possibly pay for 6 or 7 months rent which I will not be able to manage would be gratefully received.
    I really didnt expect this change in circumstances though and am getting worried.

You are tied to the fixed term, unless the agent/LL agrees to let you off.

If you choose to leave they must actively try to get a new tenant; if they can't for good reason get one, then you must pay all the rent for the fixed term. You can look for your own new tenant to help minimise your losses; but they will have to be approved & refernced by the agent.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

T wants release from AST before expiry- what to tell L?

Hi, I am currently halfway through a year long AST. Due to circumstances beyond my control I am very keen to persuade my landlord to surrender the current Lease. Unfortunately there is no break clause in the contract.

I understand and accept that I am legally obliged to fulfil the full term and I am not looking to inconvenience my landlord more than is absolutely necessary. My current relationship with the L is good and I have no desire for the L to be out of pocket after this. I am going to ask the L to be released early, explaining my circumstances and making clear that I am willing to pay the rent for any vacant period. If possible I will try to find a new tenant myself, but this may not be possible if the L has an exclusive agreement with the Letting Agency.

Has anyone any advice on how I should approach my L with this? Any comments on what I should reasonably offer. Also I am under the impression if that if I did give notice and leave, the landlord can only claim the rent from me, if he has made an effort to mitigate his losses (i.e. find a replacement). Is this correct? Does anyone know how long a vacant period could be claimed for?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by forumuser View Post
        I am under the impression if that if I did give notice and leave, the landlord can only claim the rent from me, if he has made an effort to mitigate his losses (i.e. find a replacement).
        There is no obligation on a landlord to mitigate his losses.

Neither is there any obligation on a landlord to accept a surrender.

In your situation you are in the hands of the landlord and it is a question of agreeing what you can. What you do not want to do is to agree a surrender with an obligation to pay money equivalent to rent for an indefinite period. If you are going to do that you may as well keep the benefit of occupation.

Comment

Not claiming to be an expert in law, but I'm sure that the Landlord does have an obligation to mitigate his losses - if you went to court over this, i'm sure that would be something which would be looked at. I think this is part of contract law but i'm sure a lawyer will be better placed to tell you!

Comment

Originally posted by mel19632 View Post
            Not claiming to be an expert in law, but I'm sure that the Landlord does have an obligation to mitigate his losses - if you went to court over this, i'm sure that would be something which would be looked at. I think this is part of contract law but i'm sure a lawyer will be better placed to tell you!
            No. During the rest of the fixed term, there is no duty to mitigate: see Reichman v. Gauntlett [2006] Court of Appeal.

After the fixed term expires, however, there might be such duty.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Leaving Early - the options:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/FAQ/in...d=4&artlang=en

Comment

"During the rest of the fixed term, there is no duty to mitigate: see Reichman v. Gauntlett [2006] Court of Appeal." Oh dear! Are there any examples, I thought there was at least a duty for the landlord to search for a replacement, even if it was a grey area of the law?

Comment

Originally posted by forumuser View Post
                  "During the rest of the fixed term, there is no duty to mitigate: see Reichman v. Gauntlett [2006] Court of Appeal." Oh dear! Are there any examples, I thought there was at least a duty for the landlord to search for a replacement, even if it was a grey area of the law?
                  No such duty during fixed term, only thereafter.
                  Indeed, why should L have to run around and try to mitigate, just because T won't keep a contractual obligation?
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks

Comment

Tenant wants early termination of AST- can L bind him to pay?

hi,

my tenant has a 12 month AST, due to a change in their circumstance they wish to leave early after 4 months.

i am happy to let them go an dput a new tenant in. what happens if they leave and no tenant is found ?

how can i enforce the missing rent etc ?

thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a flat to a company
                        Raiden328i
                        In the small block were I live the guy below me in the shop me and my wife rent to him wants one of the flats next door which is now empty. He says he wants to stick his workers in it and I am just wondering how it works or if you can do it seeing as you have to register the deposit etc?
                        21-07-2017, 14:02 PM
                      • Reply to Renting a flat to a company
                        MrShed
                        *** UNHELPFUL POST ALERT ***

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen on this forum posts like this. Why would you consider going into business with someone who you dont trust due to previous issues? Walk away.

To answer slightly mroe definitively, you cant have a tenancy...
                        21-07-2017, 14:19 PM
                      • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                        MrShed
                        I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                        20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                        jjlandlord
                        The ones I have mentioned all explicitly state that they are compliant with Privacy Shield.

I mean, as said and repeated, if you are a cloud data provider in the EU and a minimum serious then your service complies with EU law...

Beyond that, they cannot check and be responsible...
                        21-07-2017, 13:54 PM
                        jpkeates
                        The only popular (used by real people routinely) cloud supplier who claims compliance is Microsoft for Office 365 storage (since 2014).
                        None of the other suppliers, as far as I can find out, claim to be compliant - although it's fudged on most of their "help" pages.

I am...
                        A data storage strategy is important because digital storage media are inherently unreliable and all file formats and physical storage media will ultimately become obsolete.
                        21-07-2017, 13:44 PM
                        jjlandlord
                        Read my comments again... Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Privacy Shield has only been mentioned in relation to compliance with current rules.

As said, I'm sure providers will update their operations to comply with the GDPR,...
                        21-07-2017, 13:33 PM
                        MrShed
                        I feel that GDPR is being misunderstood here (which is common).

Privacy Shield is one tick box (of many) towards GDPR compliance. It allows the "transfer" of data outside of the EU jurisdiction.

However, it doesnt (for example) address the needs for the Data Controller...
                        21-07-2017, 13:25 PM
                        tatemono
                        backblaze is one such "serious" provider... and yet it doesn't let you choose....
                        21-07-2017, 13:15 PM
                        jjlandlord
                        It currently allows to send data to the US legally. As said, if your provider either keeps the data in the EU or complies with Privacy Shield then there is no problem.

I have no doubt that storage providers will adapt to the GDPR so as to continue doing business legally in the EU. Landlords...
                        21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                        jpkeates
                        I was responding to this point.

And said

Many landlords store data on their phones, laptops and PCs.
                        They don't have a data strategy in place, they just have documents and files that hold personal data.
                        Those are often connected to a cloud service automatically...
                        21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                      Working...
                      X