Does TDS Apply to Deposit Top-Ups?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does TDS Apply to Deposit Top-Ups?

I very often ask tenants to increase the bond to a level equal to one months rent when I increase rent each year. It's usually in the order of £10-£20 topup. I don't renew the tenancy, I just let it run on as a monthly periodic. Do I have to worry about the TDS for these circumstances?

How can the rent be increased on an AST without signing a new tenancy?

On periodic you can't increase the montly rent - or the deposit for that matter.

Unless the tenancy was not AST in the first place !!!

Strange scenario!

Comment

If you increase the rent but keep the deposit at the same amount then you don't come under the scheme.

If you increase the rent and take a top up then the deposit comes under the scheme as effectively you are varying the terms of the contract without stautory right to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by sober View Post
        How can the rent be increased on an AST without signing a new tenancy?

On periodic you can't increase the montly rent - or the deposit for that matter.

Unless the tenancy was not AST in the first place !!!

Strange scenario!
        ...by using the increase procedure under s.13 of Housing Act 1988.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thats good news as I just renewed my T´s AST with a higher rent & was goling to ask for a top up deposit. Seems for the sake of 50 GBP or so top up I don´t need to issue the separate notice re the deposit protection as outlined on another thread.

Thanks for the advice, very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
            If you increase the rent but keep the deposit at the same amount then you don't come under the scheme.
            That's what I thought until a week or so ago - now I don't know as there is legal opinion that ANY CHANGE to a periodic tenancy creates a "replacement tenancy" and thus brings it under the scheme
            On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
              That's what I thought until a week or so ago - now I don't know as there is legal opinion that ANY CHANGE to a periodic tenancy creates a "replacement tenancy" and thus brings it under the scheme
              I do not think that the s.13 increase procedure, if applicable, is a change to the tenancy as such. Please give authority for your opinion.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Esio, a section 13 notice does not lead to a new contract.

The reason you would come under the scheme if you upped the deposit to match the rent is because effectively you are handing back the old deposit and taking a new higher one.

It is the taking of a deposit that triggers the scheme, not the signing of a contract or revising contract terms.

That's why you would therefore come under the scheme.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Referencing question
                  kangoo1
                  A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
                  I am going to prepare the ast...
                  22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
                • Claiming for protected deposit
                  mandm
                  This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                  Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                  I served the...
                  21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                  JK0
                  I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
                  22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
                • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                  MrShed
                  I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                  20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                  jpkeates
                  That's simply one of the Schedule 2 exemptions which, if met, allows a process using personal data at all - all the other principles still apply in parallel (where it can be stored, be not excessive, kept up to date etc).

So, while it might be OK because it relates to a contract, there...
                  22-07-2017, 15:22 PM
                • Excessive estate agent fees
                  Cml241
                  I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                  21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                  mariner
                  A new 12 month fixed term does provide LL & T with extra security but can lead to complications for either if their resp circumstances/legislation change during the new AST.
                  Personally, I would prefer if a orig AST was for a fixed 6 month term, followed by an SPT that required both LL &...
                  22-07-2017, 14:09 PM
                  jjlandlord
                  In this case there should be no problem because:...
                  22-07-2017, 12:30 PM
                • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                  jpkeates
                  I'm not sure they're "lying", they're just making some assumptions.

The agent can't decide if something is "too" risky or not - there are upsides and downsides to having a new fixed term agreement, and they're right to point out, for example, that the income would be...
                  22-07-2017, 12:28 PM
                  jpkeates
                  Unless the tenant has given consent for the data to be used in this way, probably.

There's a grey area with this kind of data, because it's obviously been obtained for a purpose (which is to facilitate the renting of a property) and that's what it's being used for.
                  There's usually...
                  22-07-2017, 12:23 PM
                Working...
                X