AST agreement renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST agreement renewal

Hi, I am renewing my tenant´s AST for another 6 months & am using the one my solicitor drew up last year as a template.

I assume if I just rewrite it with new dates, a new rent (gone up by inflation) & a revised inventory to reflect bits I have added, get it signed by both parties (me as L & he as T), then it is as legally binding as my previous one.

Or if not, are there any new laws or regulations since last year I should be aware of.

I rather like the DIY approach. My agent (high st corporate, non negotiable) wanted 1500 GBP last year to do my contract, I paid 120 GBP to my solicitor last year & this year I would like to do it myself.

Thanks for your help & contributions on this & other topics, interesting reading.

Re signatures: better to produce two copies, not one.

1. L signs one which T keeps as Agreement itself.
    2. T signs other which L keeps as counterpart.

As L, get copy 2 from T (with deposit, if a new letting) BEFORE (or at same time as) you hand over copy 1 to T (with keys, if a new letting).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response & I am preparing the contracts now.

Incidentally, the AST from 2 years ago (high st corporate agent) got the T to sign every page of a rather lengthy agreement (12 pages or so). Last year however my solicitor just got L & T to sign at the end of the document.

I assume by signing each page the T cannot later claim he didn´t understand what he was signing for.

Thanks again for your help & time

Comment

You could let the agreement go periodic, and unless you are changing the rent amount it would not come under the new deposit protection rules.

Otherwise, you will need to think about the deposit and how it is to be protected.
        On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

I thought about going Periodic but does that allow the T a rolling 2 month notice period?

He currently takes a 6 month fixed term contract payable in advance & I would like that to continue, not go to 2 month notice.

Depositwise, I hold 6 weeks deposit & will continue to do so. I have every intention of returning this when I get the flat back as he took it on, have the new rules made any difference here?

Cheers

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit not Protected
            prm70115
            Hi there,

I have recently found out the the agent (working for the landlord) has not protected my deposit paid Summer 2017 for a 6 month tenancy. The tenancy is up in 2 weeks and I have been asked if I want to renew which I would like to do as I wish to stay in the property.

15-01-2018, 11:42 AM
          • Reply to Deposit not Protected
            prm70115
            I would like to stay at the property and renew for a further year. Should I sign a new AST or just let the tenancy go to a periodic one?

I am worried when I eventually come to leave the property say in one years time that the LA / LL will try and find ways to deduct money from the deposit,...
            16-01-2018, 07:46 AM
          • service charge
            Sparkz
            I am now living in a one bed flat owned by a housing association, for the past year the communal boilers that provide hot water and heating to all flats and the sheltered housing block has been frequently faulty leaving us without hot water or heating.

So the HA have replaced the boilers...
            15-01-2018, 21:26 PM
          • Reply to service charge
            Sparkz
            I doubt it, but I think the charge should be reduced because if the change?...
            16-01-2018, 07:32 AM
          • How much to tolerate in social housing (In Scotland but question to all)
            dekaspace
            Moved to social housing just over a year ago, neighbour upstairs has 2 kids I put up with everyday noise as much as I could and spoke to them at Easter last year because I was kept awake till 4am 2 nights in a row by loud booming voices that I could hear even in spare room and they had a 6am-1am party...
            14-01-2018, 22:45 PM
          • Reply to How much to tolerate in social housing (In Scotland but question to all)
            wfd_property
            Are you a tenant? If so, same landlord?

Is their landlord the freeholder?

Complain to both and say your quiet enjoyment is affected....
            16-01-2018, 07:21 AM
          • Letting in name of a Ltd company
            matt.svppli
            Hi,

I have a quick question to ask.
            Is it generally acceptable to sign a tenancy agreement in name of one's business and make rent payments via a business account?

The idea here is that part of the rented house would work as a home office, therefore I would like the payments...
            15-01-2018, 14:16 PM
          • Reply to Letting in name of a Ltd company
            wfd_property
            The rationale is that the occupant has a main residence elsewhere (usually mummy's house) and is renting a flat near temporary work as lodging, which can be a legitimate business expense.

Its nothing to do with having a home office....
            16-01-2018, 07:15 AM
          • Termination of Tenancy
            janeygee
            Hi,
            looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
            I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
            15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
          • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
            wfd_property
            This will cause you the biggest problem (lack of certification).

I would suggest based on what I have read that:

-they have no basis on which to be reimbursed for the work they did without permission (and maybe with the expectation they would be living there for many years,...
            16-01-2018, 07:12 AM
          Working...
          X