Tenant maybe going to prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant maybe going to prison

One of my tenant has informed me he will be going to jail. The best case scenario will be 3 months as his solicitor has done a plea o go for 6 months. So he may do 3 months on good behaviour. He has informed me he will give the advance rent if plea is accepted to keep house and he will get somebody to check it. My insurance policy says I get 6 months 90 days unoccupied property . IF he stays in longer than 3 months my insurance is invalid and it has a BTL mortgage on so I think I will be breaking the mortgage terms.

What could I do here. evict ?

If not evict could I get him to take a separate insurance out ?

He is co - operating so I think its best to help ass he could just refuse and get sent down and leave it to me to evict and everything else.

What would you guys do any help appreciated ?

Are you talking about rent guarantee Ins setting the90 day limit?
    Most LL buildings insurance can be voided if property remains unoccupied for longer than 21 continuous days. If he continues to pay rent then he could invite a friend/relative to house-sit or stay-overnight once every 14-21 days whilst he remains as sole T
    After conviction, you may be able to get repo with s8 g14.
    What do you want to do?

Comment

Tread carefully. Your buildings insurance may be invalidated if you are letting to a convicted offender who has done time.

You don't say what the offence is but I personally might think about eviction or getting tenant to surrender.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks for reply.

He is going to jail for possession of drugs.

Mariner no talking about building insurance.

He has said he will get a GF to stay but she is not on the council tax or tenancy. How would this fit with the insurance do you think.

To be honest he is the fastest paying tenant, tidy and rings if he going to late or anything so I would like to keep him if possible lol.

Comment

Originally posted by philip cooper View Post
          He is going to jail for possession of drugs.

[...]

To be honest he is the fastest paying tenant, tidy and rings if he going to late or anything so I would like to keep him if possible lol.
          I wonder where all his money came from...

Comment

I am thinking of taking the 3 months rent upfront as he thinks he will be out by then. And at the same time getting him to right a letter for 3 months from the date of the advance to say I bla bla bla surrender the property back to the landlord bla bla bla . This will give me 3 months rent while he is in and I should be covered by my insurance. Plus if he is not out in 3 months I have my property back. Does this sound ok and legal ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X