General advice needed of landlords request to meet structual repairs.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    General advice needed of landlords request to meet structual repairs.

    Hello There,

    I will first give a brief history of the issue at hand. My family and I live in a converted flat where by our flat is on top of our neighbours flat. We have two children, a 6 year old, and an 18 onths toddler who has recently found out, he has leggs and is willing to use them run around. Unfortunately, we have no garden and there for the living room which is on top of our neighbours, some times becomes the play ground.

    Recently the neighbour below approached me and complained that we were making noise whenever we moved around our house and asked to keep it down. He also advised that if we bough a rug and placed itin the living room on top of the laminated floor, this would help dumpen the noise. Failing t do so, he continued, he would be forced to raise the matter with our landlord. As a good neigbour, i forked out some money and bought a thick rug as had been advised to dumpen the noise.

    A week ago, 6 weeks after I had a chat with my neighbour, i recieved a letter form the letting agent saying they had recieved a complaint that we were making noise and i was reminded of the terms and conditions of my contract. This I did not take lightly as the manner in which the letter was written was quite threatening. The letting agents have not investigated the problem, but have gone ahead and sent me this intimidating letter.

    I contacted the agent and raised my concerns over the fact that they have not bothered to investigate the problem but were happy to send out a strong worded letter! The noise being complained about and lebled a nuisance is accually noise produced whilst we go about our day to day activities. Simply walking on our floor causes noise through to our neighbours flat implying that the problem is with the sound proofing of the flat rather than us being a problem. After i complained, the landlord was contactedand a specialist was sent out to verify my claims.

    The specialist found that there was no sound proofing that was adquetly done when the conversion took place and there were gaps in the floor boards and thus the noise. His findings have been passed onto the landlord, and the landlord has got back through the letting agent asking that we partly meet the costs of rectifying the problem as it was us or our children that had caused the noise problem.

    I personally dont agree that we as tenants should be responsible in structual repairs to rectify this. Can someone advise how we should handle this problem. Could our tenancy be at risk if we said NO and where would we stand legally.



    I agree with you that's it's not your problem and that you shouldn't have to contribute to the cost of rectification works.

    Can your tenancy be at risk? Yes, but not for refusing to contribute to the costs. The LL could simply end the tenancy for no reason when timing permits.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

    What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.


      You are not responsible to rectify any of the property that is substandard, or any damp, etc etc.
      You do not own the property, therefore he that owns it is responsible to put right any build or age defects.

      But, there are many posts about how noisy laminated / wooden floors are, and often, no matter what soundproofing you put down under the floor it still carries the sound downstairs.

      It may not be possible to see the owners lease, but often it says that carpets must be fitted everywhere except the kitchen.
      Say to the agents that laminated floors are often a complaint about noise, and unless the landlord fits underfelt and carpet, the noise generated by shoes on thin wood cannot be stopped, as there is no damping material between the 2 flats.

      Yes, your landlord can give you notice to leave if he has no concern for his tenant or those below his flat.


        even if the landlord asks you to leave, the problem remains and the next tenant will have the same issues - then the landlord will also be faced with void period etc. If you work with the landlord and allow him to install some sort of insulation, albeit at some great disruption to yourself (at his cost) then you may find a solution,


        Latest Activity