Sue or prosecute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sue or prosecute

We have just been to the house we gained possession of on Friday - the state of it made me cry! I'm not sure what to do now. We already have a CCJ against the tenant for 3 months rent arrears and we need to obtain another one for the further 3 months they owe us (it is bound to end up as a CCJ). Should we add the damage to this claim - the carpets are all ruined, they have taken the fridge freezer, ripped out a built in bed etc, or should we prosecute for theft and criminal damage?

Originally posted by Molly View Post
    We have just been to the house we gained possession of on Friday - the state of it made me cry! I'm not sure what to do now. We already have a CCJ against the tenant for 3 months rent arrears and we need to obtain another one for the further 3 months they owe us (it is bound to end up as a CCJ). Should we add the damage to this claim - the carpets are all ruined, they have taken the fridge freezer, ripped out a built in bed etc, or should we prosecute for theft and criminal damage?
    CIVIL CLAIM (SUE):
    Advantage: lower standard of proof; you are in control of action.
    Disadvantage: cost if you fail (or if you win but T has no assets).

CRIMINAL CLAIM (PROSECUTE):
    Advantage: Local Authority or Police may prosecute for you so no cost to you; compensation claim can be penalty (or part of penalty) on conviction.
    Disadvantage: higher standard of proof; you are not in control of action.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X