Heating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating

What authority if any does the landlord have in the use of excessive heating.

I let rooms out individually, so therefore its easier to have the gas bill in my name. However one tenant likes to keep the heating on excessively even if its a hot day like today!!. I read somewhere that in the Housing Act 2004 there was something relating to Energy efficiency and wastage, and its the Landlords responsibilty to reduce or minimise energy wastage. Could anybody clarify this?

Well, that means putting in an energy efficient boiler or insulating the house.

It doesn't mean you can limit use of the facilities.

If the tenant is taking the michael then issue notice.

Comment

the contract was for two months, and 6 weeks of the contract have passed. 2 weeks ago they asked if they could stay on and i agreed verbally that we would sign a new contract once it ends. Can i still give 2 months notice? Could i say that i do not want to renew the contract and ask them to leave when their contract ends? (its supposed to end in 3 weeks time).

Comment

Minimum contract in the UK is six months, you cannot issue notice to end the tenancy before the six months is up.

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
          Minimum contract in the UK is six months, you cannot issue notice to end the tenancy before the six months is up.
          There is no Minimum contract! .. BUT you cannot issue a section to expire before the end of 6 months!
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

The contract is actually a joint contract with two tenants. One of the tenant (unfortunately not the problem tenant) was only going to stay for the 2 month contract period and will therefore be leaving soon, as this is why only a 2month contract was signed in the first place. The other tenant has said she's found a replacement to take her place. Do i have any grounds on not renewing the tenancy and issuing notice?

Comment

England/Wales: no. There is NO minimum; it's just that s.21 procedure does not bite on shorter term.

Rest of UK: don't know. Scotland and NI have entirely different landlord & tenant laws.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Effectively the same thing then.

Comment

Effectively the same thing then.
                  Er? As one of the two occupants was to leave after two months, a two-month letting seems eminently sensible.
                  Not the same thing as six-month let, is it?
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

One of the tenants may well feel like leaving after two months but if the other continues to stay there then the tenancy continues and the six month fixed period kicks in.

Are you seriously suggesting that a contract can become periodic after only two months?

I think not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit not Protected
                      prm70115
                      Hi there,

I have recently found out the the agent (working for the landlord) has not protected my deposit paid Summer 2017 for a 6 month tenancy. The tenancy is up in 2 weeks and I have been asked if I want to renew which I would like to do as I wish to stay in the property.

15-01-2018, 11:42 AM
                    • Reply to Deposit not Protected
                      KTC
                      They are still liable for a penalty of between 1x and 3x the amount of the deposit for not having protected the deposit for the original 6 months fixed term tenancy, but you'll have to sue them for it obviously. When the time comes, they can if they wish serve you valid section 21 notice unlike before...
                      24-01-2018, 11:18 AM
                    • Reply to Deposit not Protected
                      prm70115
                      An update which has confused me:

Having renewed the tenancy for another year (as I wanted the security of tenure), I received confirmation that the deposit (paid 6 months ago for the initial 6 month AST) has now been protected. I have confirmation from all the deposit protection schemes,...
                      24-01-2018, 11:03 AM
                    • Attending Court - Advice Please
                      Muzza
                      Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
                      12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
                    • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
                      Hillsy101
                      Oh I'm such a pillock - there's also a great sticky on this in this forum! - https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...cement-options...
                      24-01-2018, 10:34 AM
                    • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
                      Dberry
                      Hi,

I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
                      I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
                      23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
                    • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
                      Dberry
                      It turns out that there was a leak coming from the roof that caused the problem. It just so happened to be on the same day. However the sink will still be fixed which is good news.
                      24-01-2018, 09:35 AM
                    • Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
                      nessa
                      Hi, hoping someone can help.

First claim on mcol, so I’m finding my feet.

I have just received forms n9a and n9b from the court, regarding the defendants part admission to my claim started in mcol.

However that was all I have received, I received no other forms...
                      24-01-2018, 06:15 AM
                    • Reply to Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
                      Interlaken
                      Yes you should have received other forms for guidance and to make a reply.
                      Phone them - be prepared for long wait or try 1st thing and tell them what you have received.
                      24-01-2018, 09:23 AM
                    • Expired Smoke Alarms
                      Maria Pelling
                      I recently had a heating engineer undertake a Gas Safety Inspection at a property I own. The GSI was fine but in the fault details he has written that the smoke alarms have expired. Looking at them they were fitted when the property was built in October 2007 and they say they are valid for 10 years....
                      23-01-2018, 15:57 PM
                    Working...
                    X