X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLA newsletter: do not take HB claimants

From this months RLA newsletter:

RLA Warns Landlords On Housing Benefit Tenants

Private sector landlords are being advised by the Residential Landlords Association to refuse tenancies to housing benefit claimants, because Local Housing Allowance is now handed to claimants instead of their landlords.

RLA chairman Lee Dribben said that a number of tenants are not using the money to pay rent, with landlords unable to take such losses. “In the face of this so-called reform, I can see little alternative than for professional landlords to quit the housing allowance market altogether,” he said.

Within months of the new system being phased-in, a Department for Work and Pensions report revealed that 77% of landlords with claimant tenants were reporting arrears.
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Is LHA now widespread?
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Prospective Tenant NOT viewing Property
      Guby
      When a prospective TT is located overseas and is viewing the property through a 3rd party (friend; family member; other agent) what implications or risks could be for the LL.

Could it be possible that after the overseas TT move in the property to start a long list of complaints as the property...
      29-07-2017, 09:49 AM
    • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
      purpleangel
      Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
    • Reply to Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
      Baldie91
      You are right, I have no idea why I put the return rent part, and I didn't explain it very well did I?

My point was, he can't force the tenant out before the 10th.

If the OP agreed to sign a deed of surrender, on the condition the rent for that period was returned, would be...
      29-07-2017, 09:28 AM
    • Tenant's energy debt.
      Gordonmrln
      I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
      20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
    • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
      MrShed
      It doesnt matter who requested to go to EON. It could have (probably was) the previous tenant, who paid all the bills.
      29-07-2017, 09:23 AM
    • tenant damage
      mylifestory
      Monday - tenants inform me they have no water. I'm away so advise them to ask neighbours and call water company as that's what it sounds like. I am right, water later restored.

Tuesday - tenant informs me water is coming through her ceiling (in huge storm we had 2 weeks ago) I advise...
      28-07-2017, 21:00 PM
    • Reply to tenant damage
      leaseholder64
      This doesn't make sense to me. If it is just a central heating boiler, it will either be, the old, open vent type of system, or a sealed system.

For an open vent system, the feed pressure will be limited by the height of the header tank, and any over pressure will cause it to pump over,...
      29-07-2017, 09:05 AM
    • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
      Gordonmrln
      Hi there, Just one more question and I don't know if you've already covered this or not. But will there be a paper trail or something going back to say who first introduced E.on to my property. Because the reason I ask is that some where along the line E.on was instructed by someone to supply energy...
      29-07-2017, 09:03 AM
    • Tenant vetting for a novice...
      RedHitman
      I know this seems like a very silly and novice question to those of you who are experienced Landlords, but I have to ask.

I am about to start advertising my first property to Let and I will be managing it myself. The problem I have is, I just don’t know what order the tenant finding process...
      28-07-2017, 11:19 AM
    • Reply to Tenant vetting for a novice...
      MisterB
      I started out about four years ago in he same position. I also chose not to use a LA. I joined NLA and read just about every post on this forum, whether it appeared relevant or not. I wrote a business plan, which proved invaluable and kept me focused on what I was trying to achieve.

I advertised...
      29-07-2017, 07:16 AM
    Working...
    X