Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrr
    replied
    If the insurance backed scheme is MyDeposits I think they suggest the deposit is returned within 10 days. Check with your deposit certificate and information - it will tell you how you can contact them fro clarification.

I agree it does seem strange that he is claiming to have done a full professional clean, but moved tenants in straight away. Is it worth contacting them to check if the place was spotless?

If you wish to contest a deduction, tell the deposit company ASAP. They will require the LL to lodge the disputed amount with them (the rest having been returned to you) and they will adjudicate. At the very least they will probably want to see his receipt from the cleaning co.

Leave a comment:

• Hazzabaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
    The landlord is responsible for the return of the deposit.

If you read my post below on check out then that will give you some clues.

Email/text/phone your landlord if he was not present when you exited and ask for the return of your deposit.

He has to have good reasons to retain deposit backed up with inventory and/or pictures. Did you have an inventory going in?

Most AST's say that LL should return deposit within 28 days. If he does not respond contact the deposit scheme and start a claim to get the deposit returned. Small claims not necessary at this time. Most schemes favour the tenant it would seem.
    Thanks interlaken, the landlord was present at exit and after pointing to a few things he wanted cleaning he said fine and deposit will be returned within 30 days. An inventory was done at start of tenancy almost 5 years ago but no inventory checked or done at exit. He was in a hurry as he was moving in new tenants the next day. Exit check was done around 6pm when he left and asked us to place keys with neighbour for next tenants after we had completely finished which was a few hours later.
    He then emailed a couple of days advise that he had had to pay for professional cleaning and he was withholding some deposit. He didn't specify how much . I'm questioning this as new tenants moved in the next day ??

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    The landlord is responsible for the return of the deposit.

If you read my post below on check out then that will give you some clues.

Email/text/phone your landlord if he was not present when you exited and ask for the return of your deposit.

He has to have good reasons to retain deposit backed up with inventory and/or pictures. Did you have an inventory going in?

Most AST's say that LL should return deposit within 28 days. If he does not respond contact the deposit scheme and start a claim to get the deposit returned. Small claims not necessary at this time. Most schemes favour the tenant it would seem.

Leave a comment:

• Hazzabaz
    started a topic Deposit advice please

Deposit advice please

Hi all,

Landlord has deposit in insurance scheme . Tenancy now ended . Could someone explain in simple terms please the process to be followed ?
    On checkout.. Should the landlord have a checkout document / inventory that both tenant and landlord should sign.?
    Should any deductions be agreed at that final checkout?
    If landlord didn't have a checkout document does that then hinder him if he then claims later for deductions after tenancy has ended?
    I'm presuming we email / write to landlord for deposit return if on insurance scheme?
    How long does the landlord have to respond to us and if making deductions does he then have to return the undisputed amount back us?
    What if he simply does not respond?
    Would a small claims court claim be the quickest way to resolve in this scenario.
    Sorry for all the questions

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X