TDS applys from date of handing deposit, or signing agreement ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDS applys from date of handing deposit, or signing agreement ?

Q.9 When will the schemes come into effect?

A. Tenancy Deposit Protection (TDP) will start on 6 April 2007.
    I gave my deposit on the 27/03/07, I signed the agreement to start 28/04/07.

Should I be part of the scheme or not? ie; does it apply from the date of the deposit or the date of signing the AST ?

Originally posted by liquidsquirrel View Post

Should I be part of the scheme or not? ie; does it apply from the date of the deposit or the date of signing the AST ?
    I think that it applies only to deposits actually paid on/after 6 April, so you're probably outside it.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by liquidsquirrel View Post

If you signed the agreement before 6 april 07 to start on 28th then you are outside, otherwise not - as I have been informed.

Comment

It's the taking of the deposit, not the signing of the contract that triggers the TDS. If you took deposit before 06/04/07 then it doesn't need to be protected, regardless of when you sign the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman
          I wonder what happens if the cheque bounces?
          You take it as a good omen and say thanks very much but I'll find another tenant!

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking it would probably going to be outside too.

Comment

It is 14 days from cleared funds, not when you accepted deposit.

You don't actually "have" a deposit until it has cleared.

Otherwise you could take a cheque, insure the deposit immediately and then the cheque bounces. You would then have insured a deposit you don't have.

Comment

Hmmmm, that would certainly put me inside the new system then.
              Do you know of any legal or guideline which echos what you wrote, or it is a common sense point of view ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X