Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a Tenant - Ending the agreement

Good afternoon guys,

As always, I would appreciate any assistance anybody could offer in acknowleding what I have done, as a tennant, is right.

I moved into my current property and signed the contracts for the property on the 31st of August 2013. The contract dates are from the September 1st 2013 to February 28th 2014, and I paid a small amount for the day I moved in early. The contract does state its an AST. I am also completely paid up on my rent having made the last payment on the 31st of January (as the 1st of Feb was a weekend).

I gave notice to leave the property on the 20th of January via email to the Letting Agents, stating that I would be leaving the property either on or before February 28th. At the same time I also posted a letter in the event they only accepted written notification. I followed this up with a voicemail on the 23rd of January, and because nobody had responded or acknolwedged I then re-sent the letter both via email and through the post and sent a text message to their mobile number to state my intentions.

Since this time I have sent a few more emails, left a voicemail and a text or two to try and confirm a date to vacate the property and do any last inspections. I have also confirmed via an unacknolwedged email that I will be vacating the property in the AM of the 27th of February.

I still haven't had any communication from them. I am just looking for confirmation that when I vacate the property on the 27th (and if they are not there to do a final inspection post the keys back through their office doors) that ends the tenancy in the eyes of the law and I have done enough on my part to attempt to inforrm them.

My only genuine concern is that because I have only ever had communication with the letting agents, and have never met nor spoken to the landlord, that I served my notice and emails to the letting agents I may not have told the correct person.

You can vacate at the end of the fixed term without serving notice anyway, though it is polite to do so. Basically, don't worry about it

If you aren't in occupation when the clock ticks a second past midnight on the 1st March then the tenancy legally ends, if you are in occupation for even one second past the end of the fixed term then an SPT would arise and you would have to give a one month notice to quit.

If you can't get in contact with them might be an idea to take some photos or a video of the state you leave the property in, just in case they try any funny business. Have a copy of the days paper in frame so the pictures can be dated. That way you have something as proof if you need to raise any disputes with the deposit protection people. It's not a bad idea even if you do manage to get in contact with them tbh, they are clearly dodgy/useless as evidenced by their failure to respond to your attempts to contact them.
    I'm not a lawyer, what I say is the truth as I understand it. I offer no guarantee except good intentions.

Comment

Spot on advice from Monkeysee.

Maybe write one more time to "The Lettings Manager" stating (again) that you will be moving out at the end of the Fixed term. Ask them to contact you ASAP to arrange the exit inventory before you move out. Make sure you take that detailed video, including a reading of the meters. Inform the utility companies of your departure and give them your readings, possibly backed up with a photo.

You will have done all you can.
      IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X