Electricity report fail, can Tenant still move in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The electricity supply may be perfectly safe & legal but not to current Part 18? spec.

If you have even one 13 A socket added, a new fusebox (consumer unit) will be mandatory. ~£300-500?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
      If you have even one 13 A socket added, a new fusebox (consumer unit) will be mandatory. ~£300-500?
      Are you sure about that? Certainly if it's a really old unit and there's old, crumbly, rubber-insulated wiring then any electrician worth his salt will (rightly) refuse to work on the wiring, as the insulation just crumbles away to powder if fiddled with; however that's a knock-on, practical effect of having old unsafe wiring rather than a regulatory issue. I've not come across a requirement to upgrade an otherwise safe but not-to-current-specs fusebox?

Again, it would be helpful if the OP could clarify exactly what his 'fail' report said.

Comment

OP seems to have vanished.

Comment

Perhaps he's been having a fiddle with the electrics...
          IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Thank You for the responses guys, very much appreciated. I will respond once I see the full report hopefully today.

Comment

Having spoken to the Electrician yesterday he tells me the fuse box is a 1970's version and does not have certain protective up to date covers. He has quoted me £300 total to replace in order to pass the Electricity Certificate. I may get a second opinion before he does this.

Comment

You use the words "pass" and "fail".
                Have you seen the report?

As others have said, it simply sounds like there is nothing unsafe about the electrics, it simply wouldn't be up to the current regulations if it were a new install.
                Again, adding a new consumer unit may introduce a world of problems, which may lead to a full rewire being needed.

Think of it like a car.
                A car built in the 1970's wouldn't pass the current NCAP guidelines, but is perfectly legal to use on the roads.
                Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X