Advice re mould in property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 21 FFS
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Yes - I've used that company before for damp-proofing. Not the cheapest, but they are one of the main players. If they recommend expensive alterations, make sure you get another couple of free surveys elsewhere.

But ultimately, you KNOW its your tenants fault. We ALL know! Please listen to people here and issue a s21 now. This could get very messy for you if you don't. If you're unsure how to issue it, get advice - either here or elsewhere - but do it now. It's at least 2 months until you can apply to the court for possession, and if by some remote chance you have a change of heart, you don't need to proceed, but it gives you that option.
      IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Do the windows have trickle vents where you could remove the shutters?

The walls will take a while to dry out and anything that will help get some air changes will lessen the damage for when you do get the building back.

It will need fungicidal treatment before redecoration too.

What do you provide for them to dry washing?

Comment

The windows do have trickle vents. They were all closed when I went round last but I made sure they were all left open.

They can dry their washing on the balcony, weather permitting! I used to dry mine on airers in the kitchen with a window open, never caused me any issues.

I will read up on S21. My intention was to give them notice in the next few days (after next lot of rent is paid).

At the moment they have asked if I am able to arrange compensation for their damaged furniture and clothes. I don't believe they purchased contents insurance and my landlords insurance surely won't cover damage to tenant owned items? Especially when its due to their neglect? (Can anyone confirm this is right?...).

Comment

Originally posted by darossi View Post
            my landlords insurance surely won't cover damage to tenant owned items? Especially when its due to their neglect? (Can anyone confirm this is right?...).
            Nobody can answer that without reading the terms and conditions of your specific insurance policy. But it seems 'unlikely', shall we say!

Comment

Originally posted by darossi View Post
              I will read up on S21. My intention was to give them notice in the next few days (after next lot of rent is paid).
              Leave it till then, and that will be three months you have to wait to get rid of them. (Two months notice needs to run from the day before rent day.)
              To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Ah, thanks for that - will make sure S21 is done before rent renewal date.

Comment

Thanks to everyone's advice so far.

I plan to give the required two months notice next week.

Obviously I need to get the mould all cleaned off, have the walls treated and painted etc (only once environmental health and Kenway Ltd have confirmed there are no external factors and the issue can be put down solely to 'tenant lifestyle').

Can I deduct the cost of cleaning, treating and painting the walls to the tenant? (i.e. withold the appropriate sum from their deposit). Obviously they have the option to put things right themselves (the agreement says the property must be returned in the same condition it was handed over, allowing for wear and tear), but I very much doubt they will. The deposit is protected with MyDeposits.co.uk.

There are many other areas that need putting right when they move out (either at their expense) e.g. holes/nails in walls where they've hung pictures, shelves etc.

Thanks again for advice,

D.

Comment

If they've caused the damage then they should pay to fix it. Once you've got confirmation it was them claiming through the deposit should be fine.... make sure you get several written quotes, photos etc in case you need proof to show MyDeposits if the tenants dispute the deduction.
                    I'm not a lawyer, what I say is the truth as I understand it. I offer no guarantee except good intentions.

Comment

As you will be redecorating, I can vouch for Glixtone (google it) as both a treatment and a preventive.

You need to kill the mould or it will sit waiting for any future moisture and leap back out through your new emulsion to say hello to the next tenant

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X