Help Needed.Holding Deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed.Holding Deposit

I recently gave a Holding Deposit of pounds to a letting agent on a Friday. He gave me the application form and asked me to bring it back on Monday with the rest of the deposit. He was closed over the weekend. He also had not deducted the 200 from the deposit required. The rent was 450, deposit was 450, holding deposit was 200.Total 1100.
    On Tuesday we contacted him to say we could not take the property as my father in law was sick and we needed to be with him in Spain.
    We asked for the deposit to be returned as we knew he had not yet had our application form back, so no work would on the tenancy would have been started.
    He is with holding the deposit for carpet cleaning and a new sink. Is this allowed?

Surely by giving the agent the holding deposit sum you were agreeing to take the property - why else would you give it?

Holding deposits are not usually refunded if the client backs out for whatever reason.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Why would he take money for carpet cleaning and a new sink if you hadn't moved in?

Comment

The original receipt said "100 for holding deposit, and 100 for credit checks and references" There was no mention to us regarding carpets etc. He emailed us today saying "75 on cleaning carpets, 60 on new sink and 10 for re-advertising. He is saying carpets and sink we done before we moved in. Surely that is not my responsibility?

Comment

I think if you broke the sink and dirtied the carpets it's only fair you pay for it.
          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

sorry, just edited my post. They were done before hand. we did not move in, or fill out any paperwork

Comment

The comments about carpets and sink do seem very odd indeed. I wonder if someone is confused.

However, you paid the holding deposit and then you backed-out. Even if real costs haven't been / will be incurred for various pieces of admin., credit checks and re-advertising, how can you expect to get the holding deposit back?

If you had not paid a holding deposit, and you had just "reserved" the property - verbally, and now you still wanted to move in and believed you had it reserved for that time, but they had gone and let it to someone else regardless, then wouldn't you be just as aggrieved, now, but for a different reason?

Are you saying you did not understand what a holding deposit is? It could be possible, but unlikely... I think most people would understand and accept that it's supposed to be non-refundable... it's a sign of good faith on the part of the person paying it... if you then go and back out, for whatever reason, then you kind of agree to sacrifice your holding deposit, but you keep your good faith intact (well, in a way).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X