Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much notice do I have to give?

Hi I am new to this here goes.

I am a private tenant, I signed a 6 month contract, I have been in the property 9 months and never signed a new contract.
    I use a letting agent, I have given 1 month notice in writing recorded delivery.

I have received a copy of my first contract with the words highlighted:-

If the Tenant intends to vacate at the end of the fixed term, or at any later date, he agrees to give the Landlord at least two month's prior Notice in writing.
    While the tenancy is periodic the two month's written Notice must expre the day before the Rent Due Date.

Where do I stand? I have tried to research this, but I am getting confused

Thanks in advance

All the details will be in your original AST, do you have it to hand?
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Yes, they sent me a copy with those words highlighted, my question is due to conflicting information on the web. I read that this clause is invalid as I am not in the original contract anymore, so a periodic tenancy is in place, and statutory law overrides contract law.... confused

Comment

I'm confused aswell and I asked this question from the other side of the fence.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...odic-Tenancies
        "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

My AST also states....... If on the coming to the end of the fixed term agreed above, the Landlord does not seek possession and the Tenant remains in the property, they will be considered, by virtue of section 5 of the Housing Act 1988, to have a statutory periodic tenancy. This will continue till ended by either party.

Confuses me further lol

Comment

How can I be bound by a contract that ended???

I need help for sure

Comment

The more I read, the more confused I become

Comment

They are contradicting themselves.
                Saying that, your notice may be invalid anyway, as you say you have given a "1 month notice".

What date did your tenancy start, and what date does your notice expire.
                Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Tell your letting agent he is confused.

It is only if a T is exercising a break clause within a fixed term AST that he can be required, contractually, to give more than one month's notice.

Your tenancy is now a statutory periodic tenancy ('month by month' or 'rolling'). The statutory notice period for that is only 1 month. (For your LL to give you notice however, it is 2). The agent/LL cannot override that legal right, whatever nonsense they choose to write into the contract.

As long as you have given at least one month's notice to end on the day before the day of the month on which the tenancy originally began (have you?), then your notice is valid and your rent obligation ceases on the day it expires. If you stay even one further night after that day, though, you will owe rent for the following month.

BTW, you can still be bound by a contract even after your fixed term ends - but only in the terms an conditions which do not relate to the end of the fixed term. All the other stuff (rent, repairs, etc) can remain valid.. If no new contract is signed, your tenancy becomes a SPT by default and the old contract terms still apply, by and large, but with the statutory provisions now in place re ending the tenancy.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    Your tenancy is now a statutory periodic tenancy ('month by month' or 'rolling'). The statutory notice period for that is only 1 month. (For your LL to give you notice however, it is 2). The agent/LL cannot override that legal right, whatever nonsense they choose to write into the contract.
                    Can you point me to a law or ruling that backs that up - I have been looking at this problem and cannot find one. This is what I have found.

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/201...eement-clause/

The conclusion in relation to 2 months notice is “My understanding is that any such clause will be void under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.”

If you look at the UTCCR site it is full of stuff like this:-

3.74 An unreasonably long notice period for termination of an assured periodic tenancy agreement can lead to tenants paying for accommodation they no longer want or need. This is likely if tenants have to give notice long before they are able to predict their future needs. If tenants are required to give notice well before they would naturally be considering it, they could easily forget to give notice at the right time.

(Link to full document http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/rep...rms/oft356.pdf )

If the site contains hard facts on what is considered excessive notice I have not found them.

So unless anyone knows of a ruling on extended notice clauses it seems to be down to a matter of opinion.

I think the only thing OP can try is writing to LA and saying that having taken advice the clause is invalid due to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 and see how they reply.

Comment

It is not a matter of opinion, but rather a well known established fact that clauses on determination included in the agreement for a fixed term AST become ineffective in the following statutory periodic AST.

Housing Act 1988, section 5:
                      (3)The periodic tenancy referred to in subsection (2) above is one—
                      (e)under which, subject to the following provisions of this Part of this Act, the other terms are the same as those of the fixed term tenancy immediately before it came to an end, except that any term which makes provision for determination by the landlord or the tenant shall not have effect while the tenancy remains an assured tenancy
                      Thus, the common law rules apply for notices by tenant.

Comment

thank you for the help, this is what I have been reading all along. I do think that I am going to have problems as this is a large letting agent I am dealing with, I have given written (signed for ) notice for one month, I have asked for a reply stating when they want keys? and checks of property etc?

No reply from them as yet, other than the pink highligted words I put in my first post.

Comment

Be aware that your one month notice must include a complete tenancy period, i.e. if you moved in on the 10th of the month your notice must end on the 9th of the following month. (Tenancy periods may not be the same as your rent due dates.)
                          I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

JJ, Thanks for the clarification in post #11.

On looking further into this there seems to be doubt over whether clauses in the TA mentioning a notice period for when the tenancy become periodic create a contractual periodic tenancy. Anyone know the answer to this?

Comment

Originally posted by daveg View Post
                              On looking further into this there seems to be doubt over whether clauses in the TA mentioning a notice period for when the tenancy become periodic create a contractual periodic tenancy. Anyone know the answer to this?
                              I think that in order to create a CPT that intention has to be specifically mentioned. In the absence of that, or as in OP's case, where the original AST says an SPT will arise then the statutory provisions as per notice stand. Only with a CPT can a LL require a longer notice, and unless the AST or some new document specifically enumerates that it creates a CPT then the statute must prevail.

The OP's contract specifies an SPT is created and tries to vary the notice period, it can't have it both ways, the contradiction in itself would seem to make it an unfair term even without the fact that contract may not overrule statute as per Housing Act S5 :-)
                              I'm not a lawyer, what I say is the truth as I understand it. I offer no guarantee except good intentions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                                BlueMystery
                                I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
                                26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
                              • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                                KTC
                                That ....
                                26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
                              • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                                Paul4321
                                Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
                                20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
                              • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                                KTC
                                A tenancy of more than 3 years to be executed as deed (Law of Property Act 1925).

A tenancy of less than 7 years - landlord's repairing obligations (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

A tenancy of more than 7 years - registration with the Land Registry.

If you're going...
                                26-07-2017, 21:39 PM
                              • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                                MrShed
                                I dont see a benefit in Section 8 in this circumstance as the grounds are discretionary not compulsory (is my reading of the situation anyway).

Its worth issuing it anyway but then proceed down S21 when it expires?
                                26-07-2017, 21:14 PM
                              • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                IoIo
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                                26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                MrShed
                                Yes I cant agree with JK on this one, although I agree its an elegant solution in theory. A few issues with it though:
                                - Subletting
                                - The previous tenant in effect remains a tenant (in the eyes of the law)
                                - Any damage that has been caused up to now should in fact be deducted three...
                                26-07-2017, 21:08 PM
                              • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                                Logical.Lean
                                I would make a list of the improvements / repairs which are required and get some ball park quotes for the work from trades(wo)men in the area.
                                Then I would offer a 6 month rolling tenancy, at a fair rent. I would ask the tenant to quote for a few of the simple jobs, and pay him once completed....
                                26-07-2017, 21:06 PM
                              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                Wright76
                                I can't see the departing tenant agreeing to withdraw their notice and nor should they simply to get their deposit back.

They are ALL responsible. The tenancy Is ending for all of them and they are jointly responsible for any damage.

I'm amused by your insistence for a professional...
                                26-07-2017, 20:43 PM
                              • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
                                purpleangel
                                Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
                              Working...
                              X