Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protection Certificate invalid?

Hi

My tenant has been living in the house for 6 months now. I've recently been told by MyDeposits that after the fixed term, the deposit protection (which was issued within 30 days of tenancy start etc) needs to go into a statutory periodic tenancy. No problems - I clicked the button and printed out new documents to take to my tenant.

This is where the issue is. I noticed on the print out that the AST ran from the 1st of the month for 6 months, but instead of having it run out on the 31st of the 6th month, it runs out on the 1st. I've only just noticed this extra day, but through My Deposits, they can only amend within 14 days of original being signed.

Am I legal, here? If not, should I be renewing the deposit protection to start again from the spt start date? Or would this be covered as I haven't 'undercut' the days? Any other advice? All my other protection certificates are fine - I just checked them and this was just an honest, administrative mistake.

Thanks for your guidance!

I wouldn't worry about it on the basis of 'de minimis' - the law cares not for small things. The tenant has suffered no conceivable loss from such a tiny mistake and the protected status of the deposit should be unaffected.
    I'm not a lawyer, what I say is the truth as I understand it. I offer no guarantee except good intentions.

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply.

This was my thought, too, but having learned first hand about how the courts are with all the details being exact, it made me nervous!

Comment

If it were a section 21 notice you'd be in a bit of bother, but I really dont think it will matter in this case - have you asked mydeposits what they think?

Couldn't you furnish the tenant with a correct version of the certificate - either use a photocopier and some tipex or your computer to make the change, that way on the tiny chance they ever do bring a successful claim about it you will have rectified any delinquency the court perceives as soon as possible.
        I'm not a lawyer, what I say is the truth as I understand it. I offer no guarantee except good intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeysee View Post
          - either use a photocopier and some tipex or your computer to make the change, that way on the tiny chance they ever do bring a successful claim about it you will have rectified any delinquency the court perceives as soon as possible.
          Hmm! Is that honest?
          I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

I agree, but make a formal inquiry to MyDeposits and request a formal response to your specific problem..

IE Not just the standard MyDeposits reply - We will endeavour to answer your enquiry within a maximum of 4 working days. Please note, the more accurate information you can provide us with, the faster we will be able to action and respond to your enquiryetc, etc...

If it were a section 21 notice you'd be in a bit of bother, but I really dont think it will matter in this case - have you asked mydeposits what they think?

Couldn't you furnish the tenant with a correct version of the certificate - either use a photocopier and some tipex or your computer to make the change, that way on the tiny chance they ever do bring a successful claim about it you will have rectified any delinquency the court perceives as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
              Hmm! Is that honest?
              I wasn't suggesting passing it off as an original, the tenant already has the incorrect copy anyway I assume from the original post. The OP said he couldn't amend it with mydeposits so if he wants to issue a correct one to cover himself he has to amend it manually instead.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting passing it off as an original, the tenant already has the incorrect copy anyway I assume from the original post. The OP said he couldn't amend it with mydeposits so if he wants to issue a correct one to cover himself he has to amend it manually instead.
                Fair nuff...
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Thanks for your help

Finally got hold of MyDeposits and they said that because it was an administrative error and isn't a big change, they would amend it for me. I need to email my AST to them for proof etc and it will take 4 days to amend. Then I get it signed etc for new rollover period.

I'm assuming this will be easy enough to do (although, officially, their website says they'll only amend in the first 14 days after protection is given) and there won't be any further problems.

It's put my mind at rest knowing that the courts are pretty hot on the little details (and so are unscrupulous tenants!!). Hopefully if anyone else is in this position, it gives you a bit of guidance, too.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Serving a Section 21 on inherited tenants
                    VanDriver
                    Hi all

I am interested in buying a freehold property at auction, arranged as two purpose built maisonettes. Both properties are tenanted, the tenants have been in occupation since 2005. Looking at the legal pack online the current landlord has done everything correctly. There is a signed...
                    18-10-2019, 07:39 AM
                  • Reply to Serving a Section 21 on inherited tenants
                    theartfullodger
                    [QUOTE=VanDriver;n1083398]
                    I understand the AST starts 2005. But there may have been an earlier tenancy, and if early enough they the 2005 AST won't actually be an AST. ASK THE TENANT - vendor, estate agent, solicitor won't know/won't tell truth.

Key dates are 15 January 1989 -...
                    18-10-2019, 14:46 PM
                  • Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
                    PotatoHead
                    I've had several different tenants rent my house in the past few years, each tends to stay about a year (fairly transient area).

Each one has asked to change broadband/tv/phone provider, one did it without asking. The result is Sky/Virgin/BT drilling new holes each year into my walls to...
                    15-10-2019, 21:11 PM
                  • Reply to Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
                    John Duff
                    There have always been clauses to that effect in my TAs. However, having spelt that out to tenants at signing, many will ignore. Expect to be awarded peanuts from deposit.

Recently had another dish installed adjacent to the existing at a property I own. Tenant has (without permission) dish...
                    18-10-2019, 14:44 PM
                  • Repossession query
                    Wellybike
                    Hi, new LL to this forum. I rented a property to 2 tenants on an Assured Shorthold tenancy on 24 March 2018. I didn't supply an EPC or checklist. It was rented in London and there was no initial fixed term. Rent due 24th of each month and a deposit paid. OK, now one tenant wants to have the whole flat....
                    18-10-2019, 14:17 PM
                  • Reply to Repossession query
                    jpkeates
                    If they're joint tenants, you can only end the tenancy for both of them (notice and court will be required if one of them is reluctant to go).
                    You can supply the EPC and How to Rent guide before serving notice (but make sure the How to Rent guide is the right version).

The tenant...
                    18-10-2019, 14:42 PM
                  • Reply to Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
                    Raiden328i
                    Funny enough we only got fibre a year ago on our road. I was told for years we wouldn't get it because it would cause too much chaos but as there are a lot of new builds in the area the street eventually got it along with other stuff but its been a nightmare shutting down the roads every 5 mins. I...
                    18-10-2019, 14:35 PM
                  • tenant with 3 kids
                    abc777uu
                    Hi,
                    My current tenant has 2 kids and living in my 2 bed flat.
                    the kids are a 5 years old girl and a 6 months old baby boy.
                    recently, I came to know that the tenant’s wife is pregnant.
                    by law, can they stay in 2 bed flat with 3 kids?

Please advise.
                    Thanks...
                    16-10-2019, 14:10 PM
                  • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
                    John Duff
                    Sorry haven't read the full thread re. overcrowding but here's my story:

Couple rented my 2 bed with 2 children working part LHA. They really wanted a council house from day 1. Council advised to find accommodation in PRS and they were placed low down on waiting list.

Year...
                    18-10-2019, 14:33 PM
                  • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
                    theartfullodger
                    I am safe as a landlord until the 3rd kid is MORE than 1 year.
                    - or -
                    I am safe as a landlord WHILST the 3rd kid is less than 1 year....
                    18-10-2019, 14:29 PM
                  Working...
                  X