landlord enters backyard without consent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

landlord enters backyard without consent

I rent a house and the landlord has an apartment that is attached to the house. They come about 4 or 5 times a year and stay in this apartment. When they do come, they enter the backyard of the house without informing me that they are doing that. What are my rights??

Originally posted by michelle1215 View Post
    I rent a house and the landlord has an apartment that is attached to the house. They come about 4 or 5 times a year and stay in this apartment. When they do come, they enter the backyard of the house without informing me that they are doing that. What are my rights??
    Does the backyard also belong to the apartment, or are you saying they are just coming in to your backyard for a nose around? If it's the former I really don't see that you have cause for complaint.

Comment

Is it a Outbuilding/Annexe at the bottom of the garden?

Comment

Landlord enters backyard with consent

The apartment does not have access to the backyard. The backyard is suppose to be for us to use. The landlord goes in the backyard without informing us. One time I just got out of the shower and walked into the den with just a towel on, and there he was in the backyard looking at me. I don't care if he wants to go in the backyard, but isn't it illegal for him to do that without asking or informing us first?? I feel I have no privacy whatsoever.

Comment

Michelle I may be totally wrong but I'm detecting a hint of USA-ism in your posts. Are you in the UK? If not, note that this forum is UK only and you're not likely to find any expertise relating to American law.

If you *are* in the UK: If he was entering the building then for sure he would be in the wrong. I would strongly suspect that entering a private back yard he is interfering with your right to your "quiet enjoyment" of the property and you would be within your rights to ask him to desist (and ultimately escalate if he continues). Does he know you object - ie have you mentioned it to him?

Comment

Hi

This sort of thing can often lead to a nasty situation where one person believes it to be their right to walk into the back-yard that they 'own' and while the paying user of the backyard believes it their right to privacy (the UK law supporting the latter in this case).

But how do you tackle the landlord without getting into an argument? You could ask him something like, 'is there a problem in the back yard?' just to get the discussion flowing. You could also follow it up with something like, 'You scared me. I had no idea that you wanted to look in the back yard'. It lets him know that, if anything, it is curtious to ask before entering - whether or not he has any legal right to enter.

Good luck

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
              by Moderator2
              Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
              1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
              18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
            • Tenant references are a joke.
              by Hooper
              I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
              17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
            • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
              by jpkeates
              The underlay is the key.
              At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
              18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
            • Typical lifetime of carpets
              by davett
              I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
              17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
              by jpucng62
              Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
              18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
            • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
              by jpkeates
              There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
              The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
              If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
              18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
            • MCOL & PCOL
              by OS7
              Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
              04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
              18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
              by Hooper
              Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
              18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
              by Hooper
              With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
              18-09-2021, 12:10 PM
            Working...
            X