X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I stand? What should I do?

Hello one and all,

any views will be gratefully received.

my property was managed by a Management Agency (MA) who have gone into administration. They owe about 4 months rent.

So far, a Previously Associated Agency (PAA) are the only people to have informed me of this situation.

(I was not aware that PAA existed)

PAA told me, MA and PAA shared resources until earlier this year.

PAA have offered to take over management of my property from where MA left off, minus all financial debts.

I am told I can take over the T and manage the property myself - informed by the Local Council and PAA.

Where do I stand? My contract was with the MA not the T.

Does the T have a right to stay in my property?

If I take back ownership of my property, which seems to me the best option (please advise me otherwise) must I take on the T too?

With Thanks.

The tenant has a right to stay in the property no matter who is managing, owning etc etc, until they either leave, or are evicted by a court.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thank you for your speedy response.

Comment

Did you rent your property to the MA and they put their own tenants in with themselves as landlords?

Or...........

Did you have a contract with the MA to manage the tenancy for yourself?

(Did the agents pay rent? Did they take a percentage of the rent that the tenant payed?)
        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Hello jta,

I 'leased' the property for a fixed period. 3 years initially, then it rolled on at a yearly term.

Reading the contract, I am the landlord and they are the tenant.

And yes, they put their own tenants in with themselves as landlords.

We agreed a monthly amount but I am sure it represented a percentage of the rent that they received from the tenant, via the council.

They were the first port of call if the tenant were to need repairs etc.

Comment

I wrote an answer and then deleted it, what do you know of this other company?

Comment

PAA told me, MA and PAA shared resources until earlier this year.

PAA have offered to take over management of my property from where MA left off, minus all financial debts.
              It sounds fishy. Are you able to check who the principals are in this other company?

Was the original company 'limited'. What has happened to the tenant's deposit?(if any)

Comment

Hello jta,

thank you for your response

regarding the other company (PAA) - well, they seem on the whole to comprise of people that have previously worked for MA.

I agree it is very fishy and as far as I am concerned they are possibly the same outfit but for name (although very similar).

I am not familiar with the PAA director but search results would suggest he is the registered director. MA, from what I can tell, was a limited company.

Interestingly the previous director of PAA became the director of MA just before it went into administration and I think he was also working for MA in 2010 so there is clearly a lot of movement of staff between the two.

The T is under the impression that the deposit will not be returned to her.

Comment

Well, not being a lawyer, I can't be definitive. However I think I would be consulting a lawyer about now.

I think you're being ripped off, if it was me I certainly would not be allowing anyone even remotely connected with the original company to represent my interests, they will need to have been extra clever to get out of it if you sue them.

Judges can make mistakes but they ain't fools.

Take advantage of a free half hour with a solicitor to see where you stand, make sure it is a solicitor with experience in this field.

Other members may have comments as well.

Comment

Thank you 'jta' and 'thesaint' too.

Your time is very much appreciated.

Best Regards.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X